What's That Noise? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's That Noise?

Now this is a strange one. Well, strange to me, but probably not to you guys. Yesterday I noticed a noise coming from up front, somewhere between the radiator and engine. It sounded like a cricket chirping, and was quite loud. I couldn't hear it from inside the cab, but definitely when standing outside, in front of the truck. I had to go on a 3-hour road trip, and when I got to my destination, the noise had stopped and so far, has not come back. Any ideas what it might have been? Maybe a belt tensioner pulley? We had our first real cold snap night before last and I'm wondering if that might have had something to do with it. But it was cold again last night and there was no noise this morning. Anyone else had this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Mine only does it on cold starts and squeaks a bit. Then goes away. It was supposed to be replaced under warranty but still squeaks.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
Mine only does it on cold starts and squeaks a bit. Then goes away. It was supposed to be replaced under warranty but still squeaks.
Mine may have done it at start-up and I just didn't hear it from inside. When I first heard it, it was after I had been driving for a little while and the engine had reached normal operating temp. No other adverse effects...all systems appear to be normal.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 AM

Mine will occasionally do it if it sits a couple days or if its wet outside or cold. It stops after about a minute of idling. I have never heard while driving or pulling away. Doubt it's a belt, probably pulley. Older chev 3/4 ton work truck does it as well, but with more volume to it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinah View Post
Mine will occasionally do it if it sits a couple days or if its wet outside or cold. It stops after about a minute of idling. I have never heard while driving or pulling away. Doubt it's a belt, probably pulley. Older chev 3/4 ton work truck does it as well, but with more volume to it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah, that's what I thought...probably a pulley...at least that's what it sounded like to me. The weird part is that I drove around with it doing it all morning, but when I got to the end of my road trip, it had stopped. I even ran it by my Ford shop before I hit the road and he didn't seem to concerned about it. Gremlins, I guess. :-)

Last edited by cp2146; 12-11-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 AM

Well, it was doing it again last night and this morning. It comes and goes in varying degrees of loudness and frequency (continual vs. chirp, pause, chirp). It sounds like it might be coming from the vicinity of the water pump. Would a pump that's going out be making a noise like this?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 AM

An update to this. It's still doing it, but the conditions have changed. When I first start up in the morning...no squeal. It seems to appear only after it has had time to warm up, and is a constant squeal now...no more just chirping. That makes me think it's a weak and stretching belt. It's in the shop as I write this, but they can't seem to find anything. All the pulleys look good and they said the belt "looks" okay. Any ideas, guys? I don't want to have it in the shop for three days while they scratch their heads and try to figure out what it is.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM

How many miles on your truck? If you have 50,000 or more, change the belt and double check your tensioner. I had the same problem and after I replaced the belt and tensioner I was good to go. I also noticed that the belt I took off looked good to my eye, however, it was worn and the new belt made a huge difference.

Good Luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo kidd View Post
How many miles on your truck? If you have 50,000 or more, change the belt and double check your tensioner. I had the same problem and after I replaced the belt and tensioner I was good to go. I also noticed that the belt I took off looked good to my eye, however, it was worn and the new belt made a huge difference.

Good Luck.
74K miles, but I don't know if it's the original factory belt or not since I'm not the original owner. I suspect it is, though. I don't recall seeing anything on the Oasis report about the belt being replaced at any time. Anyway, I agree because everything else is completely normal, no cooling (water pump), power steering, or electrical (alternator) issues as if one of those components was failing. I think it has got to be a bad belt.

Last edited by cp2146; 01-03-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM

Alrighty then, final update. Just got off the phone with the shop and he (the diesel mechanic) found a bad tensioner pulley that had damaged the main belt. Gonna replace the AC belt while they're in there just for good measure. Good news is that except for the deductible and the cost of the AC belt, it's covered under the extended warranty. Gonna get out the door for $300.00 and some change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.