UP PIPE LEAK - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
UP PIPE LEAK

bought a 2008 6.4 yesterday. when driving it home i noticed a loud hissing noise that got louder as the boost builds. i've checked all the tubing, boots, intercooler and found nothing. while in the truck it sounds as if its behind the dash on the driver side. climbed under it today and noticed the front driveshaft to be quite warm. put my hand on the up pipe when i pulled it back down it was black. what could be leaking in that area? I've come to the conclusion that its the driverside up pipe. almost certain it has an egr delete. it seems to be a bit under powered until it reaches about 40 psi. this is my first 6.4 so i'm not sure how it works back there so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JD_MILLS; 12-05-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had the same leak on the passenger side up pipe. get it taken care of asap. I would think if you notice lack of power, it may be a significant crack as mine only lacked power noticeably after i let it go too long. By letting mine go awhile, the crack got worse and i had soot everywhere and a clogged intake. Start the truck and slide under her with a light and carefully reach up between the firewall and the uppipe, youll probably feel the leak.That up pipe is removable cab on (kind of). I followed the cab removal instructions but didnt disconnect the ac lines and lifted the cab 4-5 inches to get the needed clearance. If its a small hole or small crack, you may be able to weld it closed. The pipes are 180 or so a piece at the dealer. when i did mine, I also welded a small bracket from the edoc pipe (where the egr cooler used to connect) to the driver side up pipe for a little more support. The edoc seemed a bit loosy goosy without the egr cooler there and i was concerned about the exhaust backpressure sensor breaking .
Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

Just about all the threads I've read on it says the passenger side was leaking. But the driver side on mine seems to be the one. What would be the best replacement?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There are three bellows back there, drivers side up pipe, passenger side up pipe and the EGR banch pipe. All three have bellows in them that commonly crack and leak over time.

As you can see in this picture below, all three of the bellows were blown out. The worst one was the EGR branch pipe.

This is how your bellows should look like ( not the pipes just the bellows in this case ).

Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 AM

The passenger is the first to go. That was my original leak.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 AM

I've heard there are modified 6.0 up pipes that people like. Otherwise check ptp. Eric will know what they have for upgrades. They are great to work with and great prices

Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Yeah the ones in the second picture are the MPD up pipes for the 6.4's running either the 6.0 or MPD log manifolds, thats my personal truck and also its third set of blown stock pipes. The after market ones are much better due to the stronger materials and bellows.

Here's what it looked like when it was all finished.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

Are the factory ones just no strong enough? And how difficult are they to change? I'm probably just gonna put an oem one on for now unless they're in the same ballpark as the modified ones

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Problem is to use those up pipes you have to use the 6.0 manifolds or as Erik stated the log style manifolds. I think RCD makes some stronger up pipes for the stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 PM

I believe it's 360 for a pair of stockers and around 700 for the good aftermarket ones. As I stated earlier its a pain but doable. I recommend finding a lift and getting the cab up a few inches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.