UP PIPE LEAK - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiderius22 View Post
with the truck running, lay under it with a light, the drivers side is right about where the pedals are. You will hear it before you see it. and look for soot, thats a dead giveaway. The passenger side can be seen from the top, stand on your bumper and look behind the turbo.
That's about how I found it. Got under it with a flashlight after it had cooled down put my hand up around the bellow and got someone to crank it got it up to around 2000rpm and could feel the exhaust blowing

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonw2 View Post
Ya that's why it makes me believe I have it. Last time I was under the truck I noticed where my horizontal egr used to tie into that pipe running to the up pipe there was some black residue underneath like black paint had dripped down that pipe. I tried to locate the source but couldn't.

Truck runs good and the black spot hasn't gotten worse but this worries me. How major is a minor crack or leak? Long term affect? Covered under warranty?

I lie this site but daggum it makes me paranoid. Fml

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
From what I understand, it's not a huge deal. A small leak isn't catastrophic, but it will get worse as the pipes heat and cool. I drove with a crack in mine for a month and it started small. While towing my work trailer, it gave out, cracked all the way. Truck still ran but had very little boost and was pouring soot out the hood!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

One more question for you gentlemen. What causes this to happen. I've read its from back pressure. And should I go ahead and replace them both

Old 12-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

congrats on getting your truck. I looked at buying that very truck. I found a bargain and purchased mine insted. I'm in southern middle TN. Are you in the Chattanooga area?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Don't you worry about it

I just had a bunch of work done to mine and while the cab was off we noticed the drivers side up pipe was blown. The passenger side was fine. The shop charged me $150 for the pipe.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels86svo View Post
congrats on getting your truck. I looked at buying that very truck. I found a bargain and purchased mine insted. I'm in southern middle TN. Are you in the Chattanooga area?
Naw I'm in north ms. Drove 6 hours to go get it. Glad I did I absolutely love it. Big improvement over my 6.0

Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 PM

I've been hearing a hissing noise that gets pretty loud and my boost seems really loose like its pouring out of a leak somewhere. I'm tuned and running the HD300, and I keep defueling when I accelerate because of too much boost. Does this sound like the same problem you guys had? I'm at work now or else I would go take a look at it.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 PM

I never defueled. I run a mini with hd 300 as well. I was short on boost when mine went but take a look at yours. I might also look at the upper and lower intercooler boots. Down pipe also. Not sure.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 AM

Its a bear to do cab on, plan on having it apart for a few days if your doing it that way. Other wise I would use your buddies lift if you can.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:31 AM

I had a hissing noise coming from the driver side of my truck and it ended up being the down pipe to the egr cooler was cracked at the bellow (because i had a delete and never made a bracket to hold the pipe from bouncing up and down). So that might be something to look at if your deleted.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.