Coolant already bad at 35k miles? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant already bad at 35k miles?

I purchased a coolant test strip kit to verify the condition of the coolant in my new to me 2010 F250.

I dipped the strip in the degas bottle, shook and waited for 45s as stated in the instructions.

I'm safe temperature wise, but had zero - or at least the lowest possible on the chart, level of nitrates! Which suggests I need to drain, flush and chemically condition the system. The kit included 5 test strips so I did a second with the same results.

I recently had drained about 4gal of coolant to install my bypass coolant filter and it looked like very healthy coolant - clear and bright gold in color.

I guess I'm suprised that the coolant would have deteriorated so quick at only 2yrs old and 35k miles on it....what would cause that? My oil/coolant deltas are within a 2-3 degrees of one another - so all is well on that front.

I've got Fleetguard Restore and Restore Plus on the way. I need to pick up Premium Gold and distilled water and wait for a tolerable weekend to tackle this project.

Thanks.

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Coolant needs to be maintained. There are additives, which usually aren't added.
Also, I wouldn't chemical flush with those temps.
Just add coolant filter, water flush with distilled, and add in a Cat EC-1 coolant, not gold.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 AM

I think the Gold coolant is just fine "when" maintained as you suggest - likely to be checked every 5-10k miles.

I would like to run CAT ELC....but with so much warranty left on the truck and the history of the poor radiators....Gold will be my choice of coolant.

So you don't think a chemical flush would be prudent? My thoughts were to remove any scale and rust so as NOT to create a situation in the future where a flush could do more harm than usefullness.

I'd like to hear what others think about this. My deltas are great, low miles, 2yrs old.....should I chemically flush to keep the insides clean or just dump, flush a few times and refill?

Thanks.

-Mike
Old 12-04-2012, 05:43 AM

did you get the fleet guard offline? if so what site did you use. Havign a hell of a time finding it
Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinggear View Post
did you get the fleet guard offline? if so what site did you use. Havign a hell of a time finding it
Per someones suggestion on the forums:

Wolfe Truck Parts - The most discounted parts in the automotive parts industry!

My local Cummins shops did not carry both or any.

-Mike
Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 AM

When i flushed my system i just did the VC9 or restore plus flush. I had no problems after with my deltas. I also recommend a coolant filter and would recommend the Cat coolant but i can understand why you want to stick with ford gold for now.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM

[QUOTE=04hdfatboy;3369890] I also recommend a coolant filter [QUOTE]

I recently installed a coolant filter about 1k miles ago. If I can be persuaded to simply drain, flush and fill - I'll just close off the ball valves at the filter head during the process. I'll open them up once the new coolant is in. The filter is too new to replace so soon.

If I chemically flush, I'll obviously have the valves open to flush the crap out of all the lines. The filter will most likely get filled with crap in the process as well?? I guess that would depend on how the water looks after draining the chemical flush.

-Mike
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 AM

WHen i did my flush the truck had about 60,000 miles. THe good thing is you have had a coolant filter to catch some of the junk (as did I) before the flush. THis is what the water and filter looked like after the chemical flush.
Attached Thumbnails
Coolant already bad at 35k miles?-2011-10-14_13.42.19.jpg   Coolant already bad at 35k miles?-2011-10-23_17.07.34.jpg  
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Just had my 08 flushed at the dealer for the 2nd time in 60000 miles and my temps are still within 2-4 degrees. I am planning a coolant filter in the near future though.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops250 View Post
Just had my 08 flushed at the dealer for the 2nd time in 60000 miles and my temps are still within 2-4 degrees. I am planning a coolant filter in the near future though.
But were those chemical flushes?

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.