assistance please: FASS or AirDog? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
assistance please: FASS or AirDog?

are the differences marginal? Or is the FASS in fact worth a benji more?

either REPLACES the HFCM, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 12:44 PM

I apologize if Im beating a dead horse here.. I've researched this quite a bit though, and was hoping somebody here may have some insight they could share..

From what I'm seeing, fass is preferred by one forum, but others like air dog.. the complaints against fass seem to be motor related, in that the pump fails.. no good..

I'm interested in learning first hand about how simple or difficult installing either would be.. the routing, if users have left the factory separator intact yet disabled, or removed all together.. I would love to learn about this surgery needed on the fill tube, and any insight on pressure settings..

I run an h&s mini, and likely I'm happy with the mid tune's hot setting.. I doubt I'm running out of fuel, but I'd like the ease of filter swapping and the air removal.. If you've installed the thing, do you have anything positive or negative to share about its function or hidden difficulty installing?

Thanks in advance..
Old 11-26-2012, 01:44 PM

I wish I could help, I have wondering the same things but as far as I could tell its all about personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
hey guys , i went with the air dogII 165 , One of many great deals ive got from PTP , so that help my decision but also was up in the air on the choices ,so pulled the trigger , install was pretty easy , i had an issue with wiring but got answers right away and other then getting drenched(when i primed it) in diesel fuel it was easy , I did leave my stock LPFP mounted on the rail , just in case i ever need it for emergency ?
installing of the air dog you dont touch the fill tube and i havent messed with pressure ,from factory they come set at around 10? ,i wont mess with it till i start messing with my fuel and then will crank it up to 15 , Overall been super happy with my choice and i see the airdog rep at all the shows so get a deal on filters so its affordable!! Hope this helps , my truck is in the shop or i would get you pics so you have an idea on install
Old 11-26-2012, 04:24 PM

I run a airdog 150 (pusher pump low pressure) on my 6.0 with a sump so far so good it's quite and easy install. I also run a sump then airdog to my stock hfcm. I know it's a bit different on a 6.4 and would probably be able to eliminate stock pump just my input on it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-26-2012, 04:27 PM

Ive noticed the airdog is more popular amongst the 6.4/ford crowd. I have no statistical data or pie charts to back up my claim.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Fass and airdog started from the same partnership. Things went sour and the two split up. They are nearly the same pump and system. The older Fass models are LOUD! The new ones are much quieter, but not nearly as quiet as my Airdog 2 165. Only time I hear my pump is when cycling the key. The fass you can hear from the drivers seat going down the road. The dodge boys love there fass pumps. But lately Ive noticed alot going to the airdog. They will both perform the same function, it all comes down to price and what you want to spend.

I left my stock system on the frame rail and capped the fuel lines so that if I have issues on the side of the road, I am only a few minutes away from being back on the road. I wouldnt be worried about a pump failing. The failures are few and far between.

If you are going to get a pump, I would get the airdog 2 165. A standard airdog 150 is probably enough for most trucks, but the adjustable regulator on the airdog 2 is an added bonus if you ever add squirt sticks to your pickup. I have about 45k on my airdog set up now and its still going strong.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 AM

thank you, gentlemen.. I appreciate the insight!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 AM

pulled the trigger...

AirDog 150 quick release w/regulator.. I just can't justify buying the 165, and mostly because I know me, and me would want to keep on truckin' w/mods afterwards if I had the room to do so..

I also purchased the EGR kit... may as well make a weekend out of it..

yeah, one more thing I picked up is the coolant filter..

all in effort to make the rig as reliable as possible, and squeezing as much life out of it as I can.. the addition of these things, plus the EPA trashcan that just fell off of it a few weeks ago and was replaced w/4" straight, and supporting tune- what else is something that needs to be done to protect it?

oh- and thanks PTP.. and, I guess your welcome all in the same breath... I think I must have made some of your kids happy this time of year with all the cash i've dropped....
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 AM

The coolant filter kit should be dead simple to install. I used the Sinister one. Figure about 30-45 minutes if you're taking your time and keeping everything clean. It took that long for me (40 minutes) because removing the aFe airbox takes longer than stock. I even was taking pictures (look for a write up) and making sure everything was straight when installing (I can be a neat freak).

The EGR kit (did you get the elbow too?) will take longer. I did this with the coolant install and it can be done in 4 hours if you're a competent wrenchspinner. The places that will take a long time are the clamps on the horizontal cooler and getting the horizontal and vertical coolers out. You will need to do a lot of twisting and pulling but they come out fine. I didn't even have to cut anything (like recommended in several how-to's). I'll post something up for a supplement to the guides already out there though.

I recommend you do the EGR and coolant filter kit at the same time so you only have to drain your coolant once.

How much more is the AirDog II 165? I'm thinking of getting one eventually. Right now the truck runs solid though so I'm just enjoying it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.