DRL (Daytime Running Lights) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

I am doing a projector retrofit on my '08 Harley. I am adding the LED angel eyes into the projectors, and a 6" strip of LED's on top of the yellow reflector that I'm painting black.I plan on using those LED's and the Angel Eyes as Daytime Running Lights. I was looking for advice on how you think I should wire up the DRL's. I understand that I can go to Ford and have them turn on the DRL option with a programmer, but then I'm not sure which lights would light up. I also don't like the fact that I can't turn them off. I was thinking of wiring them up to an upfitter switch, since the switches are only powered on when the ignition is on. That switch would just stay in the ON position at all times, unless I wanted to turn off the DRL's. Does anybody see an issue with this? And if I do it that way, do I have to run a wire from the DRL into the switch in the cab, or is there a wire under the hood I can tap that goes into the upfitter switch so I don't have to run from the engine bay into the cab, and back out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I believe it says where the wires are in the owners manual. But yeah if you wire it to the up fitter and just leave it on, that would work just fine and that way you never have to worry about leaving them on either.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-22-2012, 02:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
To wire up to an upfitter switch is simple. There are pigtail wires in theengine bay on the drivers side firewall. Just wire the power wire for the lights to there then run the ground to the battery or any other ground area. To make the switch work you must then wire the pigtail for the switch to the pigtail for te pass through wires. They will all be labeled on the wire looms under the dash. As for putting the lights on a switch, that is a good idea, but if you want day time running lights, why wouldnt you want them on all of the time? If you want them on all the time, just find a keyed power source under the dash and attach your power to that wire, or the fuse.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud2k View Post
To wire up to an upfitter switch is simple. There are pigtail wires in theengine bay on the drivers side firewall. Just wire the power wire for the lights to there then run the ground to the battery or any other ground area. To make the switch work you must then wire the pigtail for the switch to the pigtail for te pass through wires. They will all be labeled on the wire looms under the dash. As for putting the lights on a switch, that is a good idea, but if you want day time running lights, why wouldnt you want them on all of the time? If you want them on all the time, just find a keyed power source under the dash and attach your power to that wire, or the fuse.
If I were to park somewhere at night and idle then I want the ability to shut them off. Thanks for your help, I'll update once I get this project finished.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM

I don't know for sure, but I had an s10 that the running lights were on all the time, and the only way to shut them off was to set the parking brake. Try that maybe? Worth a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-28-2012, 04:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony97gt View Post
If I were to park somewhere at night and idle then I want the ability to shut them off. Thanks for your help, I'll update once I get this project finished.
Didnt even think of that. Maybe there is a way to tap into power somewhere so that they would only be activated when the truck was in gear?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 08 has the daytime running lights energized by the dealer. When truck is in park, lights are off.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marspec View Post
My 08 has the daytime running lights energized by the dealer.
That must be a long extension cord.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doss View Post
That must be a long extension cord.
lol
Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marspec View Post
My 08 has the daytime running lights energized by the dealer. When truck is in park, lights are off.
Which bulbs light up for your DRL's? Parking lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.