Coolant filter mounting options - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant filter mounting options

Started to mount my Sinister coolant filter and found that the AMP powersteps motor and hinge will not allow mounting in the recommended location. Did a search and found some nice alternatives on 6.0s but not 6.4, I know I can drill holes to mount to the frame about 6-8 inches further back. Has anyone else found another solution that is less hassle than drilling 2 new holes in the frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not to sure about another convenient location but I did have to drill 1 hole in the frame for mine and it was pretty easy. ALOT easier than I was expecting. I just used a brand new bit.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I figured I'd end up drilling in the end. I couldn't come up with any other ideas but figured someone might be more inventive than me.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
PM Ryan Ronning. He mounted his I believe in a place other than what the directions said. Im not sure if he had to drill holes or not.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Yeah I believe Ryan mounted his in his front fender well. Actually looks pretty good just not ideal for me as I'm off road a lot
Old 11-22-2012, 05:16 PM

Yeah, I'm looking for spots too. I assembled mine today to get ready to pu tit on tomorrow and I'm not 100% I want to put it where they designed it to go.

I'll let you know if I figure something else out tomorrow when I'm under there. I'd really like it on the driver's side so I can do water separator drains, fuel filter changes, and coolant filter changes all from the same side.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So mounted everything up, ended up drilling frame about 10 inches back from recommended mount a crossmember. Had to extend the hoses, no big deal. Now for the BS. I've been through 2 Wix filters that will not seal. Once system is hot and pressurized it seeps from the top of the filter. WTF, I've put film of oil on gasket and went hand tight, hand tight plus 1/4 turn and tighten to point of starting to dent filter. All progessive. Am I missing something?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim5113 View Post
So mounted everything up, ended up drilling frame about 10 inches back from recommended mount a crossmember. Had to extend the hoses, no big deal. Now for the BS. I've been through 2 Wix filters that will not seal. Once system is hot and pressurized it seeps from the top of the filter. WTF, I've put film of oil on gasket and went hand tight, hand tight plus 1/4 turn and tighten to point of starting to dent filter. All progessive. Am I missing something?
I have been having the same iusse so I use a oil filter clamp and got about two full truns out of it. No leaks for now.

Sent from the can!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, sorry to hear but glad I'm not the only one. I guess I'll crank this down hard. Seems funny that being only pressurized to 16lbs it would be such a pain to seal.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim5113 View Post
Thanks, sorry to hear but glad I'm not the only one. I guess I'll crank this down hard. Seems funny that being only pressurized to 16lbs it would be such a pain to seal.
That seems a little weird to me. I have the dieselsite kit but I just tighten it hand tight. If it is always leaking from the top I would just check the filter mount for a possible crack. If there's nothing there then maybe it's just that style of filter then that really needs to be tightened right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.