How to get better MPG efficiency - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to get better MPG efficiency

I bought an F-250 SD 6.4L this year, currently at 74K miles. I have put about 7K on it myself. I am a first time diesel owner. Converting to from a regular gas engine to a diesel has been somewhat of a learning experience, espesially with how a diesel runs, sounds and operates. A majority of the time it is my every day use vehicle and I tow a 31ft tow behind camper about 8 times a year to go camping with family and friends. I have noticed that from when I bought the truck I was around an average of 13.8 MPG and now houvering between 12.6 to 13.2 MPG. I have done nothing as of now to better this such as a programmer or modifying the intake or exhaust, everything is stock. I was wondering if ther is a cost effective way to better the MPG without affecting the 100K warranty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 PM

A tuner won't void the warranty. Does the cost of a tuner, intake, and exhaust pay for itself in a few years over the mileage gained, NO. Does it make the motor run better and potentially last longer, yes.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks. I noticed in other areas of this forum the H&S is the best tuner. Do you agree?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff2008 View Post
thanks. I noticed in other areas of this forum the H&S is the best tuner. Do you agree?
I love mine. I have the H&S mini. I have had my 6.4 since August. If you go to a tuner might as well do it right with the exhaust and intake.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
It just depends what features ya like better. Spartan has better monitoring options as well as slightly more powerful tune I believe, but the h&s has tune on the fly, cheaper, no relicensing fee if buying or selling a used tuner, and I don't think u can get tunes from over sources with the spartan. Like kem does tuning for the h&s. h&s also offers MCC which is kinda like efi live. Both don't require bungs in the delete pipes, just unplug sensors and tape them up. Only issue is h&s is under some negotiation with EPA and has stopped shipping out dpf removing tuners. The only ones left are what retailers have in stock so if your looking for one ya best get on it. Performance truck products have quite a few left so send them a pm here or give them a call and have them work out a package deal for ya.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Hunter of Trolls

RE: improve mileage

Run good fuel, keep filters clean, always operate with adequate power.. explanation:

As counter intuitive as it sounds, don't fear the rpm.. don't bury it either though.. engines are more efficient in the completeness of the burn of fuel when they aren't struggling to produce power.. a lot of folks believe that higher rpms means more fuel used, and oil burner make a better case with that argument than gassers, but this principle holds true for both, and here is the counter intuitive part- when youre driving along in a gear ratio that is lower (numerically higher) the engine doesn't have to work near as hard to get and keep the load moving.. if youre in a higher gear, and the engine is struggling to maintain the speed, you're gobbling fuel..

On the open road unloaded, fifth locked rocks.. specific to these trucks, its the best of both worlds, as the engine produces plenty of torque around 1500rpm to keep you moving around 50~60mph.. in that same gear, pulling say 10k#, the engine has to work harder.. its evident in terms of egt and boost.. if you were to drop to fourth locked, the engine rpms will increase, but it will also stop struggling- as in, its cleanly burning what fuel its injecting.. in those conditions, you're actually burning less fuel..

I'm typing from a mobile, and I'm about to type a lot.. sorry fellas, I'm bored..

Gears vs Rpms
It's a mathematical certainty.. if you're turning the shaft x number of times, and your overall drive ratio is known, you can give exact speed... Take any of those two factors and you can determine the other.. its a fact that can't be altered, unless something Is wrong such as trans slipping or tires losing traction..

Boost vs non boost
If you are pumping 14psi into your engine, you've added an entire atmosphere.. your 6.4l displaced engine is now actually displacing the equiv of a 12.8l engine.. yah, there is always the case of dynamic compression and displacement as compared to mechanical displacement, and the volume differences between the two (if the exhaust doesn't close until 4* above bdc, you're not actually displacing that cylinders full displacement, but instead its full displacement minus the volume the 4* represents: whallah, dynamic displacement).. to maintain proper ratio, guess what your engine needs when boosting an additional atmosphere? More fuel.. or, close to twice the fuel needed for zero boost.. gulp gulp..

Making them jive
Boost is fantastic to get a load rolling in short order, and has a sweet ability to launch under one ( or three!!) Atmospheres with these rigs, its REAL benefit is evident when you're rolling along at cruising speed, and it withdraws adding pressure.. think of your turbo engine as having a monster under the hood with all the power you need to move a load, but with the curious ability to shrink in displacement as it Is needed.. imagine that engine effortlessly achieving speed (gears+rpm), but then being able to find a sweet spot using those gears and rpms to be able to reduce or eliminate boost, and still not struggle to maintain velocity..

See where I'm going with this?

If you wanna dial in economy, you gotta find a gear selection that allows you to maintain the speed youve selected (regardless of tow/haul+ truck weight) with as little boost as possible, and with a steady but relative to what you're doing low exhaust temperature.. let the truck increase boost as needed for altering drive conditions, but if you see it really climbing, pop your gears lower to compensate instead of pouring fuel at the engine.. an automatic transmission is supposed to do this for you, but you can dial it precise and add economy by using the lever, or the button on the end of it more often.

Caveat: these diesels produce gobs of torque down low and throughout the rpm range.. since they do just that, higher gears can be used and maintain velocity without the weight stripping it away as it would In a gasser.. meaning, it is easier to 'plane' off with these things..

Clift notes: its mostly driving style that will determine economy.. and this is important more than anythong else I've said: let the truck and the load determine your speed instead of what some sign tells you is legal.. you may find yourself putting along sometimes, but others you'll find yourself looking rapidly over both shoulders for cops while youre sipping slowly on the gogo juice..

As an aside, I just finished tank three on this truck that is new to me.. hand calculated, I'm getting 18.3 miles per gallon combined driving.. once I'm done playing with my new toy and leave hammering the throttle behind me, I fully expect to see slightly over twenty.. man, its nice living at sea level and on flat terrain.. that o2 burns more powerfully and the truck never leaves 5th locked once I get her to speed.. that alone accounted for three to four mpgs in my last gasser.. I expect its similar to that, but maybe a little less with the oil burner..

Last edited by drewactual; 11-20-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner5509 View Post
A tuner won't void the warranty. Does the cost of a tuner, intake, and exhaust pay for itself in a few years over the mileage gained, NO. Does it make the motor run better and potentially last longer, yes.
A tuner will void the warranty.

I think the price of mods vs fuel saving is a common misconception. Did the math, especially with high fuel prices and it does pay for itself.

Tuner, exhaust, and intake will improve 2-4 mpg depending on how you drive.

My best so far is 16.9 mpg on the whole tank 75% highway driving.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner5509 View Post
I get around 75 miles more per tank after tune than before. Between that and the massive power increase, I could care less if I ever break even. Towing became a non-event as well.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I agree with everything above. If you are wondering why your MPG's have dropped recently, its because your local stations have swapped over to winter blend fuel. Its pretreated not to gel down to a an extent. You wont get cold enough in that part of the world to ever have fuel gel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.