gaspods? interesting... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
gaspods? interesting...

not that I'm terribly worried about fuel mileage, but because many of us have cab clearance lights, and these things could possibly be fitted with LED's, it would be a nice little addition...

2%, over the life of the truck, would pay for them several times over..

anyhow, found them today while goofing off on that interweb thing, and thought I'd share:

GasPods.com - GasPod Installation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 06:57 AM

between those and the magnet I am going to wrap around my fuel line ,,

oh and the turbulator I will actually make fuel as I drive

LOL
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 AM

Wow, that was good for a pretty hearty laugh. Their calculations are done in a manner that may seem scientific to some, but anyone that understands CFD, aerodynamics, ICE efficiencies, etc. will see right through it.

I like how they almost instantly equate the reduction in drag [at some fixed speed even though they test at 2 speeds] at 5% (is what they keep using across everything) into 5% fuel savings. Sorry, the game doesn't work like that.

Also, the results are difficult to quantify in the real world with so few miles and no real controlled, repeatable testing conditions to compare. The main problem is if someone puts a device that is supposed to increase fuel economy on your vehicle, you are aware of that, and you also want to make sure you increase fuel economy, you're going to end up driving in a manner that will increase fuel economy. It's that simple.

The main problem is the aero properties of our trucks. Wide tires, high ground clearance, house-size frontal areas, squared shape, big mirrors, upright windshield, large gaps and holes for cooling and fit and finish... all these contribute to our trucks getting terrible MPG.

Interestingly though, this isn't new tech and it's not unfounded. This was last used (that I know of) on a production car, the Mitsubishi Evo MR to redirect [turbulent] air from the roof to the rear wing.

From autotitre.com

Last edited by Doss; 11-20-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 AM

Moar places to put LEDs.... YAY! *sarcasm*

Nah not knocking them, I'm sure they work to an extent. I suppose anything you can do to make a battleship of a truck more aerodynamic the better off you are. Perhaps look into fitting a ferarri nose on the front too?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 AM

You think these things are bad, there are wraps with little dimples like a golf ball that folks swear work.. work at what remains questionable.. work at looking goofy for certain..
Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 AM

The problem with those wraps is that they are modeled after a golf ball... which has those dimples for more than drag reduction (and actually not for drag reduction while in a static state... it's for when it's spinning). They help increase/decrease spin and provide a level of more/less predictable flight.

If you spin your Super Duty as fast as a golfball, you have a lot more things to be worry about than MPG.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doss View Post
The problem with those wraps is that they are modeled after a golf ball... which has those dimples for more than drag reduction (and actually not for drag reduction while in a static state... it's for when it's spinning). They help increase/decrease spin and provide a level of more/less predictable flight.

If you spin your Super Duty as fast as a golfball, you have a lot more things to be worry about than MPG.
I agree with the in flight stability concept, and I further agree that it is hilarious to attempt correlate the flight of a golf ball with the road manners of a vehicle.. but...

many moons ago I was a Marine Sniper.. we studied ballistics extensively, primarily external (in flight) ballistics and terminal ballistics (after impact).. I'm thinking this little tid-bit plays a role here too:

hollow point projectiles are more accurate than solid tip.. 'boat tail' projectiles add even more stability to that.. without having the ability to draw it, I'll attempt to explain it..

a pointed bullet cuts the air directly in front of it.. if you go through denser air at some point downrange (colder or more humid), it can minutely alter the bullets path.. a hollow point projectile actually pushes air in front of it, and has an area of low pressure directly 'in the cavity' and immediately forward of it- as in, that pillow of air is not exchanged with new air as the bullet flies.. because of that, it has less resistance..

I'm thinking those dimpled surfaces achieve the same thing in that design- or, at least, that is what the engineers are attempting..

mebbe I'm wrong.. who knows.. what I do figure I'm not wrong about, is that folks will try just about anything to sell something that holds true in theory, but not so much in practice..
Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 AM

No need to explain to me. I am pretty well-versed in aero/fluid dynamics at least on a general engineering level.

Boat tail or teardrop projectiles have an aero advantage due to reduced drag. If you look at modern fuel efficient vehicle design, projectiles, motorcycles, golf clubs... just about anything moving fast through a fluid (air is a fluid), then you'll see a form of boat tail design (optimal angle for "break away" is about 7 from the previous plane).

Golf balls generate pressure zones around them due to the dimples. There is something to gain from just the basic dimples on a golf ball though that has some advantage even in static form like a wrap. I just don't think it's enough to use it.

Dimples work well on rounded shapes. On more "slick" surfaces however, you're more concerned with skin friction drag.

Interestingly, on these types of surfaces the devices that you originally pointed to are used to generate a similar effect than that of the golf ball dimples (turbulence needed), the term for them is vortex generators. I think Mitsubishi even used this term when describing the fins on the back of the Evo 8.

This is all basic explanations of aerodynamics while I'm on a snack break. The field is very complicated and some of the results and shapes generated and their resulting lift, drag, etc. can be very counter-intuitive or surprising.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM

I have a rudimentary grasp on such things, and a good level below what you do I would guess..

do you think there is any value to either of these things? I mean, I'm not about to go out and purchase either- and wouldn't install them even if they were a gift because they are hideous, but the concept is interesting all the same, and even though they are hideous, I still believe in function over form..
Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM

Depending on your goals, cost,and what you're willing to deal with, I would say they may or may not be worth it. Overall, I don't think they're worth it though (that's just my opinion).

If you're planning to save money in the long run, there are many more things that will be far more effective than these aids... especially on this truck.

If you're interested and when I have a chance, I could list things that would increase the efficiency and boost MPGs on this vehicle. None of them are revolutionary and a few don't even really cost much money. It's just more or less what you're willing to do to your vehicle, how you drive it, and how much money you can spend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.