stupidest question in the history of powerstroke diesel.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stupidest question in the history of powerstroke diesel....

I've got that link thing from the factory, and it uses my phone via Bluetooth for communication.. I like It just fine.. what I don't know is this, and I'm kinda embarrassed to ask:

The truck asked me if i wanted to run a 'vehicle health check'.. I thought to myself "what sorcery is this?" as I hit the "yes" button.. I then noticed, on my phone, some inexplicable data transferring taking place... So, here is my goofy question: did I just link up with ford motor company and did my truck just tell them of the horrible surgery I performed on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM

WTF

subscribed
Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
WTF

subscribed

No shizen, right? I'm giggling about this, but it is actually a serious question... It would be pretty easy for "E.T. to phone home", no?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
WTF

subscribed
I had the same reaction, WTF...

I have heard of vehicle health checks, I believe its part of the Sync System

Subbed....
Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM

Subbed as well. As I sit here scratching my head lol
Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 AM

Sync link, yes...

Like I said, I figure its a simple run through trouble codes and maybe how many miles since the oil reset, but I don't know for sure.. there was a helluva lotta 4g data going on via the phone right after I selected 'yes'...

I'm laughing, but I am asking a serious question..
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 AM

Our ford edge will do this too. It will report back through the sync system and DTC, mileage, oil life etc. You will get an email from ford with all that information. It uses your cell to send the info.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Interesting... I wonder if you "agree" to this sharing of information when you sign up??? Also, what specific information is shared with Ford and is there any personally identifiable information included in the upload? Sounds pretty shady to me...
Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 PM

well. I have actually had the same concerns since I tuned my truck. I used to perform the health check until I installed the tuner. I havnt done it since so I am not sure what all it can see. I was thinking that it could also trace the regen cycle but I am not 100% about that. I just went in and turned off the notification.

You also mentioned something about an oil reset... Can you explain this to me? I have never seen anything in my truck about the oil life.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Re: oil reset..
I don't know if these trucks have them. I haven't owned it long enough to know.. most newer vehicles have a service reminder function such as oil change, and it has to be reset when oil is changed or it just keeps reminding you.. it can ve done via scan tool, or by doing the strange sequence thingies like "turn on parking light, tap brake three times, turn on left turn signal, turn key off", or some other strange sequence.... Like I said, though, I don't know I'd these rigs do it..

Re: sync
Yeah, I turned it on and just selected 'yes' to the lengthy agreement thing.. I probably sold my soul to Satan in the process, or maybe just amazon.com or some such crap.. who knows whats in those agreements that I dont have enough sense to read.. there is a great chance ford would want to monitor for statistics sake regens, mileage, dtc's, such like that.. there is also a good chance my truck just squealed to its maker about what I've done to it.. I can't say I really care, because I bought a warranty NOT ford that i trust to be a good one, and they don't ask a lot of questions.. well, they won't so long as the inspector doesn't know a whole lot about what he's looking for.. and I have it on good authority that he doesnt..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.