Is it safe to wash engine bay - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it safe to wash engine bay

The engine bay on My 2010 is getting pretty dirty. as this is my first diesel can I spray it with engine cleaner and hose it down. did it twice a year with My gassers and never had any problems. is it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Take the same precautions as you did with your gasser and there probably won't be a problem. As usual, do not spray electronics or electrical parts (especially the batteries or alternators).

Also, do not spray the engine when hot. I know a lot of engine cleaners say to get up to operating temps, but I don't use those. Too many hot iron pieces that will crack if you cool them too quickly.

Usually, I just spray the engine with some power cleaner/degreaser and wipe it down instead of hosing it. It'd have to be caked in mud before I hosed it.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Just don't use high pressure, do it cold, and keep it away from electronic goodies along with that air filter.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 PM

I spry simple green and hose it down cold a few times a year and it looks like new.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
On my 6.0 I have always just coated everything with ZEP Indistrial Purple Degreeser (Home Depot) and hosed it down. Alternator, batteries, everything. Done it hot and cold and never had any problems.

I am not recommending that you do this but thats just my 0.02
Old 11-15-2012, 05:11 AM

To those saying not to wash it down while hot, what do you think happens in a heavy rainstorm?

I leave my truck running while I wash it and have never had an issue with pressure washing but I do take it easy unless I have a mud caked part that needs it.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Hunter of Trolls

I've seen, with my own two eyes, jugs (moto cylinders) pop like corn when hot and hit with a cold hose.. I've never seen it happen when they were running, though.. I guess, (and this is only a guess) the heat displaced is a lot quicker when it's not running..

as far as cleaning an engine bay, I've gone as far as to make a paste of comet and water, 'paint' it all over the engine bay, let it sit until almost dry- and wash it off with low pressure and a brush.. it works like a charm.. it would be a pita to attempt that on these cramped engine bays, though..

avoid electronics like the plague, though.. I usually plastic and duct tape those when I do these things.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 AM

In a heavy rainstorm if I pull into a fuel station and pop the hood to check oil ETC the motor isn't soaking like I ran a hose on it,,

I personally use a high pressure but stand back so it just power mist the engine ,, that uses a lot less water than a garden hose at 60 PSI,, but mostly I just wipe it down with a cleaner
Old 11-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I put mineral spirits in a hand pump spray bottle, works great

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
In a heavy rainstorm if I pull into a fuel station and pop the hood to check oil ETC the motor isn't soaking like I ran a hose on it,,

I personally use a high pressure but stand back so it just power mist the engine ,, that uses a lot less water than a garden hose at 60 PSI,, but mostly I just wipe it down with a cleaner
I agree with that. Im not saying to run a cold water hose over the engine while it is hot. I also just use a power washer from a few feet away so its more of a power mist, still works quite well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.