oil capacity 6.4 (dealer puts in 15 litres) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil capacity 6.4 (dealer puts in 15 litres)

this seems to be a contentious issue. long story short i picked up some rotella t6 when i was in michigan a couple of months ago at walmart along with a motorcraft filter. t6 is roughly about 35% cheaper state side, so the plan was to change my own oil. i got busy and didn`t get a chance so i had my local dealer do it for under 30 bucks.

I explained to the young lad that the oil capacity on the 6.4 is 15 quarts or 14.2 litres, and not to dump in the entire 4 gallon containers in. I had an extra quart with me just in case they screwed up.

i got in my truck expecting a little left in the gallon jug and there was nothing but my extra quart. I told the young lad that they have possibly overfilled my truck so i brought it back in and spoke with the oil change child and he said he dumped in the 4 jugs which is 15.14 litres. I explained about the regen process of this engine and that it "makes oil". He just starred at me with a blank look on his face. i asked him what amount they normally put in for the 6.4`s and he said 15 litres, thats what the machine measures out.

nonetheless, i made him drain some out (he said approx 3/4 litre) and checked the dipstick. one side read half on the hatched marks and the other was close to the full. (inserting the stick fully in)

when i arrived home the 6.4 owners supplement states 15 quarts 14.2 litres with a number 2 beside it that states includes 1 quart in oil filter.

now my question is it better to keep it between min and max rather than close to full?, and which indication on the dip stick is correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
You already answered your own questions (You're correct and the boy isn't)

6.4L capacity 15 quarts (including oil filter)
6.4L tends to make oil (again you're right)
NEVER overfill the engine (Could lead the disastrous results), stay between the marks and you will be fine.

My personal opinion ****NEVER let someone do the oil change for you, do it yourself (whenever possible) ****
Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruizhernandeztrust View Post
You already answered your own questions (You're correct and the boy isn't)

6.4L capacity 15 quarts (including oil filter)
6.4L tends to make oil (again you're right)
NEVER overfill the engine (Could lead the disastrous results), stay between the marks and you will be fine.

My personal opinion ****NEVER let someone do the oil change for you, do it yourself (whenever possible) ****
yeah the problem is the dealer has been doing my oil changes since day one, now i`m learning they don`t even follow ford`s guidelines. also, i`m really disappointed that they don`t give the children proper training when they`re performing maintenance on your vehicles.

thought going to the dealer was helping my truck.........................
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain howdie View Post
yeah the problem is the dealer has been doing my oil changes since day one, now i`m learning they don`t even follow ford`s guidelines. also, i`m really disappointed that they don`t give the children proper training when they`re performing maintenance on your vehicles.

thought going to the dealer was helping my truck.........................
If you aren't confident about changing the oil and filter there's a lot of videos in youtube teaching how do do it PROPERLY or just tell us if you have any questions and will be more than happy to help you.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruizhernandeztrust View Post
If you aren't confident about changing the oil and filter there's a lot of videos in youtube teaching how do do it PROPERLY or just tell us if you have any questions and will be more than happy to help you.
thanks for your help, greatly appreciated. i`m confident about changing my own oil, been doing it for years on all my other vehicles in the past. the only real problem is my truck is too long and a couple of inches too high to fit in my garage. I even went out and bought a fumoto valve and a larger drain pan for the job, but the weather turned bad this week so thats why i brought it to the dealer. plus i wanted a couple of mtce records from ford on my file, didn`t know that they supported child labour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.