Coolant Oil temp deltas - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Oil temp deltas

I recently did a coolant flush with restore, restore plus, distilled water and cat elc-1. Before the flush my oil temp was around 205 and coolant around 200. After the flush and cooler weather Im now seeing around 200 oil temp and 194 coolant temp. I have seen 205 oil and 194 coolant. Is it okay to be almost 10 degrees off? I am due for an oil change, and am switching to synthetic so that might bring oil temp down some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How are you doing the test? Are you on a flat road going about 65 when you check your delta? 10* is still ok. Its possible you broke some gunk loose during the flush. I would also recommend a coolant filter.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
How are you doing the test? Are you on a flat road going about 65 when you check your delta? 10* is still ok. Its possible you broke some gunk loose during the flush. I would also recommend a coolant filter.

You guessed it spot on, I drive the causeway (24mile) bridge to new orleans for work. 65-70 mph. I was expecting to see all sorts of stuff doing the flush, but really didnt see much. The water was very dark but not many chunks/particles. I have thought about a coolant filter but ive never had cooling issues in any of my trucks so ive never felt a need to install one. Do they really catch a lot of junk?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:11 AM

Yes they catch a lot of junk. I highly recommend one. Like i said 10* is ok. I usually see between 2-6*. Just keep an eye on it.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

this truck has to be reliable for a long time for me so i think youre right, coolant filter might be next on my list.

Also, you got any input on tranny flushes? I bought the truck with around 100k on it and it had only been flushed once at 80k. Ive been told to leave whats in there because flushing might take out particles that the clutches have "adapted to" overtime and a flush could make it start slipping. My tranny temps are usually around 170.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 AM

When i bought mine i just dropped the pan, changed the internal filter and refilled with mercon LV
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah thats the route i was gonna take. Maybe a deep pan too if i can find one that doesnt cost an arm and a leg
Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM

I plan on doing several transmission fluid changes over the next 10k miles.

If you just pull the plug on the bottom, it empties out about 6 quarts. If you drop the pan, about 8.

I bought 20 quarts with the plan of pulling the plug first. Then dropping the pan and changing the filter about 2k miles later. And finally doing another plug drain 5k miles later.

That should change out a majority of the fluid. You could do it all within a 100 miles if you wanted to, but this gives me a little peace of mind that transmission slippage will be detected gradually and I can stop fluid changes at that point if need be.

For my deltas, I'm getting 192-194 ECT and 194-196 EOT and air temps are around 60 that yields between 0-4 for the delta.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 AM

If its that concerning to you, do a poh man's flush.. I've done countless.. it gives you full and complete exchange of fluid without a machine forcing stuff free that can clog up valve bodies.. it goes like this:

Pull the RETURN line from your heat exchanges, and point it at a bucket.. stage about a case of fluid already opened, with a nice deep funnel in the fill tube..

Have someone start engine, in nuetral, and attempt to keep fluid going in near the same rate its hitting the bucket.. about the time you see nice clear fluid coming out, let it go another quart or so.. this insures the trans kicks out ALL of the old fluid and replaces it seamlessly with new.. when youre done, simply button up the lines, and dispose of the old fluid..

Whallah...

Even your torque converter will be exchanged this way, and you'll not risk debris in the system like you would with a power flush..
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM

Oh... And swap your external filter when youre done..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.