Ford's specs on oil cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford's specs on oil cooler

My mini maxx is shows quite a bit of difference in oil temp and coolant temp which leads me to believe the oil cooler is getting clogged. The truck has 76K miles on it so it would be under warranty but I can't leave my mini maxx in my truck when I do take it in to warranty.

So the question is, what are the exact parameters that Ford goes by to determine if the oil cooler is actually not working as it should? Would it be 10+* difference, 20*, or do they even have parameters? Reason I ask this is my temps range about 15-19* apart (oil being higher), if I got through all the trouble to return everything to stock only to find out I'm in acceptable range than I'd be pissed.

Does anyone have a service manual that gives the info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM

I am pretty sure once the separation is at 15 or higher then you are starting to plug up.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Yes i also think its 15* or more. Make sure you flush it good before replacing the oil cooler so the new cooler doesnt get clogged again.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM

I posted a thread last week about this. I talked about how my Black Maxx showed 12-14 degrees differences in temp. Then when I put my truck back to stock, the gauges showed it was 8 degree difference. Then the dealership tested with their equipment and it was never 4 degrees different and never got over 204 degrees. From what my dealership told me, the very early 08's had a lower temp spec for the oil cooler, but late 08's and on were 15 degrees difference on their equipment.

I put my truck back to complete stock for nothing. Its interesting seeing the fluctuations in temperatures going from tuned, to stock, to the ford equipment tests.

Another member recommended I update my tuner, which there was three new updates that may take care of this. Hopefully these updates take care of my rough idle I get sometimes.

Read my threads on it, maybe I mentioned some other stuff about it.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM

thanks atwoojr and everyone else, this is exactly the reason I wanted to know the specs on the cooler before I returned all to stock. I may call my service guy to ask him to track down the specs his tech would use to warranty it before I do anything.

If I'm seeing a 15*ish difference when running the HD300 tune then without the tune I'm probably only 10* or less which would mean nothing to Ford. I'll keep an eye on it and try to get around to doing the coolant flush and see if that's brings it down a little
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 PM

I put my truck back to being tuned with the HD300 tune. I also updated to the latest firmware. I am taking a trip this weekend and will report back if I see any difference in temps....One anomaly I noticed while driving the other day, the temp was climbing on the BlackMaxx. Right as the temp hit 194 degrees on the screen, it immediately jumped to 199 degrees. This was on the oil reading only, now that I think about it, I have never seen a reading between 195-198 degrees.

On a side note, I picked up a swivel adapter to reach the tight back side bolt and nut on the down pipe connection. This worked great!!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:17 PM

I noticed a little tighter spread this evening. I had to let a friend drive my truck while I drove her husbands manual trans car and I put it on the no power setting for her. After we got back in the neighborhood, about a 30 mile trip, I got in the truck and the coolant was 190* and the oil was 196*. So maybe my cooler is not getting as clogged as I thought? I'll play it out a little longer and see what results I can get
Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 AM

It would probably be a good idea to put on a coolant filter and do a flush. It will either help your delta issue or clog the oil cooler completely.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 AM

you could always go down to or call your local service department and ask the manager...............eliminating all the guesses you would get on here?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 AM

Yeah I'm just going to ask my service guy. Assuming that he actually give me a correct answer, I'll take it from there. It's always my luck and he'll say "oh 10* difference is spec.", then I return all to stock only to find out he meant to tell me 15* difference was spec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.