Water Separator... quick help needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water Separator... quick help needed

Admittedly I had not been keeping up with draining due to lack of knowing I should be monthly. So after a year of owning the truck I drained it this morning but only let it run for 15 seconds because it was flowing a steady stream and the youtube video I watched seem to have much less.

Am I supposed to let it drain until it stops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Mine never really stops. I usually pour about 2" into a glass and let it sit for a few hours and see if you see any water in it that separated. Mine never shows any water but its still good to drain it every so often.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Next question then is what does it mean if there is water that separates? Just want to be 100% sure I'm taking care of my truck correctly.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM

If water seperates than you may just have had moisture in the tank but wouldnt be noticeable really, or you got some fuel that had water in it. but most importantly if your seeing water your filter is doing its job. If it does have some in it, it will be very small, if you have a lot of water that comes out there is prolly a big issue but if you had that much water in it then you would notice it by now or the message would come up on the screen too. just make sure you get fuel from busy gas stations so that the diesel isnt sitting for long periods and you will be fine
Old 11-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info got to love this place. I had made myself paranoid after reading about it yesterday but I've never had any messages and didn't see anything abnormal when I drained it, at least not that I could see.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick01 View Post
Thanks for the info got to love this place. I had made myself paranoid after reading about it yesterday but I've never had any messages and didn't see anything abnormal when I drained it, at least not that I could see.
i never see anything in mine but i still drain it because they say so haha. I have had 2 6.0's, 6.4, and 6.7 but recently sold one 6.0 and have never seen a water in fuel light or anything weird drained out of the seperator. but i just make sure i hit up busy stations like i said so it isnt sitting for long periods.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Yeah, it's going to come out quick if it's not clogged up. It's more of a problem if it isn't flowing well. That means it's gunked up on the inside.

It seemed like mine would continue flowing until the fuel tank emptied, so I cut it off at about 10 ounces or so. Then, give it time to separate. That's a large enough sample in my opinion.

You'll be surprised with the stuff that comes out. I get a lot of sand in my fuel for some reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.