tranny issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tranny issues

last night i was at full throttle and truck started bucking in third and fourth and wouldn't go into overdrive then when i got home reverse is slipping horribly, wouldn't even back up my driveway, pulled codes P0766 shift solenoid D performance or stuck off & P2703 transmission friction element d apply time range/performance. anyone had this before? is this looking like a new tranny or maybe replace the solenoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 06:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburcham04 View Post
last night i was at full throttle and truck started bucking in third and fourth and wouldn't go into overdrive then when i got home reverse is slipping horribly, wouldn't even back up my driveway, pulled codes P0766 shift solenoid D performance or stuck off & P2703 transmission friction element d apply time range/performance. anyone had this before? is this looking like a new tranny or maybe replace the solenoid?
sucks so bad man. let me know if i can do anything to help. I smell a suncoast tranny rebuild.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM

so the parts come in tomorrow...anyone done this? from what i have read this seems like a 30 min job. really that simple?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:39 PM

What parts did you get? That may help us know what you are installing.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Shift solenoid d
Old 11-06-2012, 12:59 PM

so pulled the trans pan off and the pics will show what the fluid looked like, as it was draining out the fluid looked perfect, even had that distinctive trans fluid smell, there were small particles (clutch i"m assuming) that were in the bottom but not much and the one napkin i used that is black is what came off the magnet, the fluid that is in the pan is what came out of the filter when i turned it upside down, it was kinda dark. the other picture is of the solenoid i changed (red arrow). can someone confirm that that is the correct solenoid (D) for 5th and reverse? i put everything back together with 9 quarts of new fluid and new filter using all ford fluid and filter and went to test drive and had same problem and threw the same codes after i cleared them with my blackmaxx. thanks for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
tranny issues-2012-11-06_10-09-49_592.jpg   tranny issues-2012-11-06_11-20-13_104-picsay.jpg  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:45 PM

I'm brand spanking new to diesels, and haven't even driven my 6.4 yet, but i know a little about transmissions...

You're not going to like this..

The code may be the computers interpretation of ways wrong, but often times that is downwind from the real issue.. the band, knowing nothing about these rigs but in general, sometimes serves high and low.. meaning, the band that grips fifth gear may be the same one that grips reverse... And that, my friend, is what it sounds like- a bad band, or band anchor.. usually, there is evidence of a dropped anchor, as its laying in your pan when you drop it.. what you've described sounds like the band itself..

That means the band has to be fixed.. which often means the trans has to be pulled.. but, some designs allow for replacement installed, and/or two piece half moon fixes..

My advice, Fwiw, is that you'll be better served having a trans shop with a good rep check it out.. and if youre doing just a little to it, the price difference with doing a lot is negligible, as in rebuild time..
Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 PM

Come on man... Ur killing me lol, I have a deep down feeling that a sun coast is coming but dang I'm not ready for that right now if ya know wat I mean lol
Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 AM

So much for trying to save money before u head out of charleston. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 AM

The bright side is that if its done right, hopefully you wont have to worry about it again. Also i would look at an RCD torque converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.