Cat coolant question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cat coolant question

I just picked up 4 gallons of cat coolant, want to make sure it's the right stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks like it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yup! I would get at least another gallon to have as a spare in the garage or back of the truck. For the spare, make sure to mix it so 1 gallon will make 2.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:20 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thats concentrate though. If you're doing a complete flush you'll want to get some 50/50 as well. 238-8648 is the part number. When I did my flush, since theres some water left in the block that you can't get out, I tossed in 1 gallon of the concentrate, and then 50/50 from there on out.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:28 PM

Weird. I pulled the drain plug on the block out and drained out about 7 gallons. 6.4 coolant capacity is right around 8. I just did this 3 weeks ago.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM

I just double checked. Per alldata, the 6.4 capacity is 7.66 gallons. Only 80% of the fluid can be recovered with the engine in the vehicle. So you should only be putting about 6ish gallons back in. I did an EGR full delete though so I put in less. The EGRs actually hold a ton of coolant!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 PM

After all the research on here i read to get the full strength, dump about 3.5 gallons of coolant then top it of with distilled water . What should i do?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Go buy a bunch of distilled water and measure how much you can drain each time and you'll know for sure. The radiator has a drain and so does the block on the drivers side kindof above the front drive shaft. And report back for sure!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackcrewcab View Post
Thats concentrate though. If you're doing a complete flush you'll want to get some 50/50 as well. 238-8648 is the part number. When I did my flush, since theres some water left in the block that you can't get out, I tossed in 1 gallon of the concentrate, and then 50/50 from there on out.

What? I don't understand any of that reasoning. That would be way more expensive and only save you the trouble of having to 1:1 add coolant to water.

If all you did was add 1 gallon of concentrate, I think your mixture is off. Here's the rough math:

8 gallons total (rough) = 1gal concentrate + 3gal leftover water from flush + Xgal 50/50
:X= 4gal
:4gal 50/50 = 2gal coolant + 2gal water
8gal total = 3gal coolant + 5 gal water = 40:60 coolant

I did some rounding just to make it look cleaner on the numbers, but your mixture is off if you just added 1 gallon of concentrate and the rest are 50/50. The problem is you're offsetting 3 gallons of left over flush water with 1 gallon of concentrated coolant. That is not a 50/50 combination.

OP, use the concentrate like you have (238-8647) and put it in. Add distilled water to top off. Done.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doss View Post
What? I don't understand any of that reasoning. That would be way more expensive and only save you the trouble of having to 1:1 add coolant to water.

If all you did was add 1 gallon of concentrate, I think your mixture is off. Here's the rough math:

8 gallons total (rough) = 1gal concentrate + 3gal leftover water from flush + Xgal 50/50
:X= 4gal
:4gal 50/50 = 2gal coolant + 2gal water
8gal total = 3gal coolant + 5 gal water = 40:60 coolant

I did some rounding just to make it look cleaner on the numbers, but your mixture is off if you just added 1 gallon of concentrate and the rest are 50/50. The problem is you're offsetting 3 gallons of left over flush water with 1 gallon of concentrated coolant. That is not a 50/50 combination.

OP, use the concentrate like you have (238-8647) and put it in. Add distilled water to top off. Done.
Well I'm glad you dont understand the part where I said I drained about 7ish gallons total out of my system leaving a gallon or so in the block.... I don't care what others have done or what people say is "suppose" to be left in the block ie: 3 gallons. Its what I personally experienced when I did my own truck just a few weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.