HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP

Long story short....the truck I just spent all my money on has a plugged oil cooler and the cab has to come off to fix it. The dealer is not going to help at all it looks like after myself and the GM had a gentlemans handshake if anything was wrong he would take care of it. He is the owners son, this is Hollywood KIA dealership in Hollywood FL. This is the same thing that happened with my 05 KR 2wd 1k miles after I bought it(1 month), first road trip. Oil cooler and EGR blew apart on the interstate and I had to tow it back to the dealer and they charged me for the repairs and tow bill, I had a 12k/1 yr warranty.

Enough of that. I need help with what to do to this truck while the cab is off. If I can get a good deal on parts I'd like to do some other stuff. I can't do this work myself so I'm paying a tech labor, I'm responsible for parts.

Plan to do EGR/DPF delete/remove. Also cai and H&S mini maxx(has EDGE now). The cat and muffler are removed but I'm going with a new full system(recommendations??) Should I have the tech install 6.0 manifold? He has a few laying around. What is needed for this and is it worth it? Studs are more in labor but I'm close so I may have him do those. Is this needed? This is a daily driver and I'm not looking for crazy power, plus I don't have a ton of money.

If any of you guys own a parts place let me know if I can get some kind of package deal. Or if any members have these parts you want to get rid of let me know. I'm in FL.

Thanks, sorry for the long read.
Attached Thumbnails
HELP-truck-6.4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Within the next week or so, my truck is going in to get my plugged oil cooler replaced with a new one under warranty. I was told that the cab does not have to be lifted for an oil cooler change out. just adding my 2 cents.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I should also add, I don't pull very often and not any real weight. 16ft Enclosed trailer with a few road race bikes and race gear. I'm just looking to get a little reliable power and have a fun truck to drive. This lift is awesome, rides so smooth compared to gas trucks I've lifted before with big wheels. I got a set of 22s with 37s going on soon as its out of the shop.

Should I get a 5 in exhaust or is that over kill? What intake, just read about a new intake and was courious if this was for my application and if that's my best choice. Also these billet turbo wheels worth putting on? I'm not looking for the fastest truck but I'm a racer so I want the best bang for the buck in reliable power without changing turbos, injectors, tranny and such. I want a MTW(when available) turbo but afraid that will put me in the power range of having to do head studs and tranny work.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoojr View Post
Within the next week or so, my truck is going in to get my plugged oil cooler replaced with a new one under warranty. I was told that the cab does not have to be lifted for an oil cooler change out. just adding my 2 cents.
He said it was possible but would take longer and be more difficult which equals more cash that I really don't have. Anyone know just how much more difficult it is? I don't want the cab lifted off. Seems that after you take that cab up and then bolt it back down it just won't be the same. Is there some tricks or tips to keep the cab on?

On a side note, he doesn't recommend doing the studs one at a time so I can't afford that. I drove 15 miles down the road and this wrench comes on followed by a check engine light. Call back and he says don't worry about it, take it to your tech and call me in the morning. He's in NY now.lol.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I believe the oil cooler would be fairly difficult to get to with the cab on. It is in the engine valley and a lot of stuff has to come off. I would do an intake, exhaust, programmer and egr delete. I wouldnt worry about the 6.0 manifolds unless you have the money. You could also do a coolant filter and and airdog for better filtration/water seperation. If you are going to do the studs i would pull the heads, have them decked and then new OEM headgaskets.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
I believe the oil cooler would be fairly difficult to get to with the cab on. It is in the engine valley and a lot of stuff has to come off. I would do an intake, exhaust, programmer and egr delete. I wouldnt worry about the 6.0 manifolds unless you have the money. You could also do a coolant filter and and airdog for better filtration/water seperation. If you are going to do the studs i would pull the heads, have them decked and then new OEM headgaskets.
Good advice. I'm just going to fix the oil cooler, intake and do egr deletes with a coolant filter. It came with a programmer and exhaust that I can change out at a later time when I get my cash back up after buying the truck and repairing it. It's my daily driver for now so it just needs to be reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.