About to buy a 6.0 or 6.4? Need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About to buy a 6.0 or 6.4? Need advice

Yeah I know how many times have you seen this post right? Well I would appreciate some help/advice. I have owned a 6.0, and after I sold it it had nothing but problems for the poor bastard I sold it to. Went with Cummins stuff for a while and currently looking for another Ford. I am about to buy a 2008 F250 with a 6.4. I've heard lots of horror stories with the 6.4, and wanted to read a bit deeper into it. Any thoughts? What I should I look for when looking at the truck?

Any advice on buying a 6.4 verse grabbing another 6.0 is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do not buy another 6.0 is my advice. The 6.4 is far better from power, noise, interior, and looks (well, hmm... that's subjective I guess).

Find a later build 2008 (after September 2007) if possible, but the earlier ones should be upgraded by now.

Look for a well-maintained and documented truck.
Get an OASIS report on any truck you're looking at.
If you can, delete the EGR and DPF and get a tuner (the tuner makes these things possible to delete).

If the truck doesn't have the EGR and DPF deleted, watch the mileage (I wouldn't buy an OEM truck that had 100k+ miles with that stuff still in place). Then again, I probably wouldn't buy a truck with 100k miles and a tuner in place... ahh... a Catch 22. I say that, and I know guys that have over 100k miles or near it (myself included) with stock trucks still going strong and troublefree.

After that, maintenance maintenance maintenance and only use Motorcraft filters for oil (5k) and fuel (10k) and remember to drop in some diesel additives for lubricity... and swap out the coolant as soon as possible.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

i switched to a 6.4 from a 6.0 almost 2 years ago.. i haven't looked back once. i love my 6.4 over my 6.0 any day of the week. My 6.0 was good to me.. no real problems out of it. i'm not saying the 6.0 is a POS.. there are some good ones out there and I had a good one. But the suspension, interior, sharpness, everything about the 6.4 is just awesome IMO.

look for service records especially if its not already deleted. get an oasis report, if you get a 6.4... follow the severe maintenance schedule, oil every 5K and fuel filters every 10K. Drain water separator at least once a month..

Once you get it.. get a DPF/CAT Delete, intake, and tuner and you will be pleasantly surprised at how nicely these 6.4's wake up.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I'm on the fence on this one and love the way the truck looks. I have already asked the dealer for the oasis report and am waiting for that now.

So this rig has 95K on the clock and shows all maintenance done at a ford dealer (not saying that is good or bad) so I assume they would do all updates. Is there anyway to easily tell if the deletes and mods are done on a particular truck?

Thanks for the help again, I'm trying to avoid another Dodge product (although I have had good luck with Cummins), as the fit and finish just sucks!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 AM

Yeah, the easiest way to tell is it'd have a tuner. Otherwise, it'd throw codes constantly.

Chances are if it's at the dealership, it isn't tuned. What year is the truck?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nally7.3Powerstroke
If your getting the 6.4, I would consider buying a Ford extended warranty as well, just my opinion.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 AM

I would only buy the extended warranty if you plan on keeping it stock.

Also, the extended warranties may not be available or will be really pricey with that many miles. You can probably only get them for 1 or maybe 2 years at this mileage (if it's an '08) and they'll cover a lot less.

The PremiumCare warranty probably won't be available and that's what covers most of the things that go wrong.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doss View Post
Yeah, the easiest way to tell is it'd have a tuner. Otherwise, it'd throw codes constantly.

Chances are if it's at the dealership, it isn't tuned. What year is the truck?
The truck is a 2008. Dealer says Oasis report is can't be shared.........go figure. He is sending me service and recall history though.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLLTR View Post
The truck is a 2008. Dealer says Oasis report is can't be shared.........go figure. He is sending me service and recall history though.
That's BS those can be shared.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLLTR View Post
thats a load of bull manure. take the VIN to another ford dealer and get it run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.