buy 6.4 or just modify the 6.0?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
buy 6.4 or just modify the 6.0??

I have a 2005 F250 King Ranch F250 2wd. It has 08 tailgate, 08 20in king ranch wheels with brand new Cooper Zions, brand new brakes(rotors/pads), leveling kit and is very clean overall. I was planning about $10k of work to mod this truck to a streetable and reliable 500hp daily driver. With this cash and the value of my truck added together I almost have enough for a decent milage 4x4 6.4 crew cab with leather/sunroof. Should I get the 6.4 and do deletes, exhaust, intake and programmer? My truck is paid for so I could keep it or sell it/trade it. I'm finding 6.4s for $20-30k around here(FL). I have some injector issues and just had my FICM repaired and programmed. The truck runs rough till it warms up under load but idles perfect.

Last edited by roadracer669; 10-23-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

I love the 6.0s but for the money in mods my 6.4 will leave a 6.0 in a sec.
I have about $1400 in mods and run low 13s. My 6.4 is so quit too. I do miss my 6.0s whistle. I like my 6.4 interior a lot better too. It rides so much better also.
So as of right now I would take a 6.4 over a 6.0 but I love both.

Btw I'm putting down almost 600 hp to the wheels and only have $1400 in mods like I said. And My 6.0 was putting down almost 500 to the wheels and I had right 4k in mods.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by Lifted Fords; 10-23-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would say its just about costs. I would rather have a 6.4, heck I put a 08 front end on my 06. However my truck was almost paid off when the 6.4 made it to dealer lots, so my "no payments" far made up for my lack of HP! Lol. I'd just see what the best deals are, unless your towing over 15K regularly, your prob not going to vastly benefit from extra HP, truck in similiar condition, similiar miles, would have to be at least $5G cheaper or more, that's the only variable I'd look at. If you can afford a 6.4, that's what I would buy. There will always be a better engine, my next truck will probably be a second or third year run of the next engine after the 6.7L, so then ill be top dog, until then my paid off truck works great!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 AM

6.4. Hands down. I had the same dilemma. My 6.0 was perfect. I cringed when I sold it for the 6.4 but after deleting my 6.4, I wish I would have bought a 6.4 from the start.

If u dont u will regret it. The truck overall is just an amazing improvement from the 6.0. I miss and love my 6.0 but IMHO there is no comparison.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just got rid of my 6.0 today for an 08 F350. Miles are somewhat high to me @ 115k. I like it way more than my 6.0 already.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroKR20 View Post
Just got rid of my 6.0 today for an 08 F350. Miles are somewhat high to me @ 115k. I like it way more than my 6.0 already.
same here, just got home at 2am from S FL. went to get a stock truck and came back with this. I picked up a set of 22s on the way back. Time to start ordering what's left or should I say what the last owner took off before trading to the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails
buy 6.4 or just modify the 6.0??-truck-6.4.jpg  
Old 10-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

I sold my 6.0 with 101k. Had a few 7.3s while I was looking for a low mile 6.0 or cheaper 6.4. I usually don't buy newer trucks over 50k but I found a steal on the 6.4 I have now. It had 121k but it was cheap and checked out great. Was bone stock. At 126k now and running great.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You have to realize you are posting in a 6.4 forum, so opinions could get bias. For now they seem pretty fair.

I like my 6.4 my dad has a 6.0 excursion and he loves his, but he would trade in a second for mine. I almost thought of getting rid of mine because of all the problems he has had with his, I know the 6.4 is nothing like the 6.0 (thank God) but I would be broke if I had to spend what he has in repairs. He has over $9k since June trying to fix crap a shop messed up from installing a Airdog pump. Just replaced 2 injectors again $1400 from ford, second time in a year and 3 time since he has owned it.

Anyways back to what really matters. He has a turbo back, river city turbo, air dog and a sct and it runs good. Granted it is an excursion so its hard to compare, but I am deleted with a Spartan and my truck stomps his. One thing I will say is his truck sounds awesome compared to mine.

I would say go 6.4 if you want reliable hp, the 6.0 is not horrible but it is expensive to get good hp. Good luck with the choice.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I posted in the 6.0 and 6.4 sections to see what both sides would say. Everyone had good things to say in the 6.4 section and the 6.0 section just went away with no replies. That made me think the 6.0 people would get a 6.4 if they had an opportunity. With that being said I went and got a 6.4 and I'm happy so far. I'll be thrilled when I get it back from my buddy that's a ford tech. We should be finished in a month. The truck already had deletes, programmer(Edge, I'm ordering an H&S probably), exhaust, 8in lift, wheels(I don't like, already bought new ones) and some other stuff. I'll know more in a few hours after he gives it a good check over and has it serviced up. I plan to come to that dyno show in GA next weekend lookin and running good. I'll start another thread on what's what when we get into it. Thanks for the coments guys and sorry this turned out so long.

Last edited by roadracer669; 10-27-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer669 View Post
I posted in the 6.0 and 6.4 sections to see what both sides would say. Everyone had good things to say in the 6.4 section and the 6.0 section just went away with no replies. That made me think the 6.0 people would get a 6.4 if they had an opportunity. With that being said I went and got a 6.4 and I'm happy so far. I'll be thrilled when I get it back from my buddy that's a ford tech. We should be finished in a month. The truck already had deletes, programmer(Edge, I'm ordering an H&S probably), exhaust, 8in lift, wheels(I don't like, already bought new ones) and some other stuff. I'll know more in a few hours after he gives it a good check over and has it serviced up. I plan to come to that dyno show in GA next weekend lookin and running good. I'll start another thread on what's what when we get into it. Thanks for the coments guys and sorry this turned out so long.
Congrats on the truck! Post up some pics when you get a chance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.