Fluid changes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fluid changes

It's about that time. Since I don't know when every fluid was changed on this truck, I've decided it's time to change most of them.

Last month I swapped out the oil filter, oil, air filter, and fuel filters with new Motorcraft ones. I also cleaned and replaced the water separator. It showed a few signs of gel. There was a surprising amount of sand, rocks, and dirt in there too. Not a large amount, just more than I expected.

Here's what I have:

Looks like it'll be a busy weekend. Anyone else see something I should go ahead and do soon?

In a few weeks, I plan on installing an EGR delete with elbow, air intake, Mini Maxx, and DPF delete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 AM

Good deal man. Looks like a good plan.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 AM

Are you planning on doing a coolant flush? If so I would wait and do it at the same time as the egr delete because you will loose a little coolant when you do the delete. I would still install the coolant filter as 08hdfatboy suggested in another thread because it's never to early to have one of those.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 AM

superduty6.4, thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure I was going to get to the flush since it takes so long to do and I have a lot of things on my plate every weekend. I'll install the filter and wait to flush after the EGR delete. I was already on the fence on doing the coolant flush because I want to get my tuner first and check the delta on EOT vs ECT and get the oil cooler replaced under warranty if possible.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM

No problems. Good luck with everything.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 AM

how many miles are on your rig?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt dong View Post
how many miles are on your rig?
Almost 82,000 now. It gets babied a lot but I use it to drag logs and pull stuff out of the ground on occasion.

When I got the truck, the dealership (Ford) said all services had been performed and everything was up to date/spec and that the truck was routinely in for all services performed by the previous owner.

Well, that just doesn't sit right in my head b/c I don't know what was done besides oil and fuel filters.

What are the identifiers for a factory trans filter? I think the coolant has been done because it has the updated T (I think mine is a Job 3). I'm sure on the fluids I'm changing that all I need to do is verify that they don't look like junk and that's assure me that they're not factory any more.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM

Dunno how to tell if the trans filter is original. I guess you'll see when you change it and the accumulation of particles. I'll be doing mine in the next 10k miles. I'm at 58k right now. It's been babied also other than pulling a bay boat several times a month and light loads several times a week.

I agree it's a good idea to get a tuner or gauges to see what your temps are. That's how I did mine and discovered after the coolant flush new tstats raised my temp 4-6* for eot and ect. Then I put my old ones back in there was drop in 2-3* to the pre-flush temps.

The degas bottle is one way to see how your coolant is doing. Mine looked like crap. There was so much build up I couldn't get it clean no matter how many times I washed it. So just got a new one. As bad as it looked my temps weren't all that bad.

A lot of sand came out of my flush even after running 2 coolant filters prior to the flush. That Restore and REstore plus is some good stuff. Got rid of the build up and rust.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:48 PM

Capt, thanks for the post. That was some good stuff.

Yeah, degas doesn't look that bad, but maybe I'm just remembering it wrong... maybe it is LOL

I'll compare the two trans filters when I remove it. I guess if it's different I know it's the OEM... unless someone else makes filters for the 6.4.

I guess I better get ready to drain some of the bank account. I'll go ahead and get an exhaust, Mini Maxx, air intake, and EGR delete (with elbow).

Looks like no one's getting Xmas presents from me this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cat elc, coolant, mercon lv, sinister diesel, transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.