25% price increase from Opti-Lube - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
25% price increase from Opti-Lube

I have been using Opti-Lube Xpd since I got my truck last year. I usually order the additive in the 1 gallon jugs because of a little discount over the quart size.
This past week I went to the Opti-Lube website to reorder my usual 2 gallons.
PRICE HAS GONE UP BY $10 FOR A GALLON.
That's a 25% price increase folks. ....matter of fact I noticed the 25% PRICE INCREASE ACROSS THE BOARD.
WTF....That's a hell of an increase to slap on customers all at one time.

I am now having second thoughts on using the product...I am considering going back to Power Service Diesel Kleen like I used to run in my other trucks.

I had switched over to Opti-Lube because of this "Spicer Report" that was done about 5 years ago because I wanted the best Lubricancy but after doing more and more research.....there really is no more information.

Diesel Kleen uses "Slick Diesel" in their product now for Lubricancy and I don't think this version of DK was used in the original testing.

This price increase of 25% has left a bad taste in my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was using Diesel Kleen and decided to try some of the Ford stuff since I was at the dealer picking up fluids and I needed some diesel additives.

I have noticed that while the truck runs no quieter or smoother, the MPG has gone up. I am still driving the same areas and frequency, but I cannot confirm if the fuel at the pump has changed any (winter vs summer). I doubt it.

Granted, I'm not saying it's gone up 30% or anything like that. It's up almost a half mile per gallon though. So, that's about a 3-4% increase. On the highway it was reading really high on the lie-o-meter, but I can't confirm its accuracy. FWIW, it was reading about 2.5 MPG better than usual under the same driving conditions.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Serving Our Country!

You could also try running the Rev-X fuel additive. There aren't any reports, that I have seen, comparing the Rev-X to the others. However, Rev-X does have a great reputation so I'm ASSUMING the fuel additive is just as good.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The Rev X fuel additive rocks. Ive been running it since it came out
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The Rev X fuel additive rocks. Ive been running it since it came out
Dave, have you seen any reports comparing it to the others?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM

I stick with diesel Kleen. Run 16 oz every fill up. Easy to get at Walmart and I'm confident it is helping with lubrication. I could care less about fuel mileage. Keeping my injectors clean and lubricated is what matters to me.

I also run sea foam once every two months. My diesel mechanic swears by it and I ran it every tank on my 6,0 and after 120k miles she ran better than when I bought her.

My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My friend told me he saw a recent article in Diesel Power which claimed that Diesel Kleen is basically useless and Opti-Lube is the best. Can anybody confirm/deny this? I've been using Diesel Kleen since I bought my truck.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:58 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony97gt View Post
My friend told me he saw a recent article in Diesel Power which claimed that Diesel Kleen is basically useless and Opti-Lube is the best. Can anybody confirm/deny this? I've been using Diesel Kleen since I bought my truck.
There is another thread here somewhere that had a comparison chart. Opti was the best followed by biodiesel. 2 stroke ashless oil was on there too. Then came diesel kleen. None of them are useless because they all increase lubrication. However, the amount of lube varied drastically.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 AM

These come from the study I think you are mentioning. I created them myself from the data provided at: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums. Ordered from smallest to largest scar reduction.

Last edited by Doss; 10-23-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doss View Post
I was using Diesel Kleen and decided to try some of the Ford stuff since I was at the dealer picking up fluids and I needed some diesel additives.

I have noticed that while the truck runs no quieter or smoother, the MPG has gone up. I am still driving the same areas and frequency, but I cannot confirm if the fuel at the pump has changed any (winter vs summer). I doubt it.

Granted, I'm not saying it's gone up 30% or anything like that. It's up almost a half mile per gallon though. So, that's about a 3-4% increase. On the highway it was reading really high on the lie-o-meter, but I can't confirm its accuracy. FWIW, it was reading about 2.5 MPG better than usual under the same driving conditions.
I run Ford Cetane booster. It definitely gets .5 mpg better or more. Much quieter and smoother than no additive. IMO good value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.