16quarts v. 15quarts. I know.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 08:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
16quarts v. 15quarts. I know....

I know I know. Really should have asked BEFORE I did it, but it's done. Last oil change, I just dumped the entire 4 gallons rather than metering out that last quart and having leftovers. Really, is there a problem with that? I know about too much oil and the problems it can cause, but I'm figuring with the size of this thing, the one extra quart won't cause problems. If there is, I'll drain the one quart. I have 122k on the clock. Runs well except for the leaky egr coolers which I'll get to soon. I live in NorVa so I can't delete them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would probably drain it and make it right.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
How high is it on the stick? I would definitely drain it out because with you having the dpf intact has the risk of making oil due to fuel slipping by the rings during regen. If you have an extra quart of oil which is a decent amount, plus if you have lets say 10 regens at the least over 5000 miles, how much of that fuel is making it to the crank case? Just an idea that I wouldn't risk but do what you want
Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
Like the guys suggested its better safe than sorry. Drain the extra quart.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 AM

I would drain also

you don't want to aerate the oil
or risk a runaway if yours is an oil maker like suggested
Old 10-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So you want to risk a $10,000 motor because you are too lazy to measure out the exact amount of oil that Ford indicates your engine needs??!!! Aerating or oil foaming would be a HUGE risk that can and will destroy your engine.

Last edited by Term3; 10-20-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalingus View Post
I know I know. Really should have asked BEFORE I did it, but it's done. Last oil change, I just dumped the entire 4 gallons rather than metering out that last quart and having leftovers. Really, is there a problem with that? I know about too much oil and the problems it can cause, but I'm figuring with the size of this thing, the one extra quart won't cause problems. If there is, I'll drain the one quart. I have 122k on the clock. Runs well except for the leaky egr coolers which I'll get to soon. I live in NorVa so I can't delete them.
i live in NOVA also,.... EGR and Cooler delete is next on my list of mods to do... why cant you delete your egr and coolers? there aren't any emissions testing on diesels in VA that i'm aware of. fill me in brother if i'm missing something.. but i've yet to need an emissions test.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballn2 View Post
i live in NOVA also,.... EGR and Cooler delete is next on my list of mods to do... why cant you delete your egr and coolers? there aren't any emissions testing on diesels in VA that i'm aware of. fill me in brother if i'm missing something.. but i've yet to need an emissions test.
Because of visual inspections. During an inspection, the tech is suppose to verify the placement of factory emissions equipment. So, if they are removed, I'd fail the "visual" portion. Or so that is what I had learned. And I don't have the time now to look for an inspection station that would kindly overlook that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.