Batteries - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 05:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Batteries

My truck has been in service over 5.5 years and I still have the original batteries. They still work like there brand new. Should I leave them in with the cold approaching since there over 5 years or replace them. If I do replace them stick with motorcraft since they have been great or do you reccommend something else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 05:15 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I have had just as good luck with motorcraft batteries in all of our diesels. I only had one set that went bad, took them to ford to have them tested and they replaced them no questions asked. But as far as replacing them, maybe take them to ford and get them load tested and see what they say. If they pass I would run them another half year or so.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 AM

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
WOW! 5.5 years (feel blessed)
I live in the tropic with very humid and hot climate, my batteries usually are done in 3 years at max. If your batteries are working properly there's no need to replace it, you can load testing just for the piece of mind. I'm using right now BOSH brand from pepboys (works well).
Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
My truck has been in service over 5.5 years and I still have the original batteries. They still work like there brand new. Should I leave them in with the cold approaching since there over 5 years or replace them. If I do replace them stick with motorcraft since they have been great or do you reccommend something else
I'm still on my originals too. I was going to get some before winter hits but then I figured since these ones still crank like new I may as well keep them going. Hopefully it doesn't backfire on me
Old 10-19-2012, 06:57 AM

Maybe I'll just keep running them they littterally crank like it was brand new same as super duty
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I would test them and make sure they are good. When they go bad, you can loose a core over night causing your truck to not start when its cold. I lost a battery last winter. I had to get a jump just to start the truck and take it home to replace batteries. I always replace my stockers when they go bad with yellow top deep cycles from autozone.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 AM

Id test em as well, otherwise run em til she wont start anymore! Then buy new ones.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Yeah, I'd run them until they start to give you problems (slow starts, intermittent starting, etc.).

Just inspect them regularly to make sure the case isn't bulging or leaking.

I'm still on my OEM batteries (unless the previous owner swapped them) and they're 5 years old and running strong.

Get a BatteryMinder or BatteryTender and use it. I have one on my racecar and that battery was always a bear to start. After letting it "condition" the battery, it is stronger than when it was new (no seriously, it barely even drops when cold starting my V8).
Old 10-19-2012, 11:58 AM

I've heard that running these newer trucks on batteries that are on the verge of dying or have died before or if you have had to jump start your truck before can be one of the causes of your trucks computer crashing.
I was just told this by two reputable guys, one owns a shop and the other works at a dealership.

May just be there opinion but they say most of the computers they replaced have been on trucks that were jump started a few times with old batteries.

Mine clicked once before starting one day.... So I bought two optima gel cell batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 10-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i personally use DEKA batteries as they are made in USA and i have always had good luck. as of right now i have 2 1040 CCA at 32 degrees and like 900 at 0 degrees i paid like 133 a pop or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.