Taking tuned truck to dealer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Taking tuned truck to dealer

Hey guys, I bought an '08 HD (bone stock) with 55k miles in April. I took the truck to the dealer a few months ago for an oil leak at teh front crank seal. They fixed it under warranty and when I got the truck back I tuned/deleted it. To my surprise the front crank seal is leaking again and I want to take it in to have them fix it right. I plan on going back to the stock tune and putting the DPF back on just to avoid the accusations that my tune caused the problem. Plus I've got some grey/blue smoke coming out of my tailpipe now and then.

My questions are these:
1) How do I explain the grey/blue smoke to them once I detune and put the DPF back on if it doesn't keep doing it?
2) Is there any telltale signs that I had a tuner on besides them plugging in a computer to my OBD2 port? (soot, etc)
3) Once I remove the tuner and go back to stock, how long after that should I wait to take it in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would let the truck do a few dpf cleanings before taking it in. Wash your tailpipe out it should get most of the soot out.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX 06 View Post
I would let the truck do a few dpf cleanings before taking it in. Wash your tailpipe out it should get most of the soot out.
That is exactly what I would do. As for the tuner, they will have to dig pretty deep to find it. If you truck is stock when it goes in they shouldnt question it, especially considering it has happened before.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not anticipating any issues but this is a new dealer I will be going to. How can I explain the grey smoke issue if I will have the dpf on and I'm guessing it won't be smoking with it on?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 PM

They could tell somehow that I had a tuner. My dealer ate a $7k bill that Ford refused to reimburse right before I took my truck in. so they said they were being more diligent in checking. they can tell if they look.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamsphelps View Post
They could tell somehow that I had a tuner. My dealer ate a $7k bill that Ford refused to reimburse right before I took my truck in. so they said they were being more diligent in checking. they can tell if they look.
Which tuner were you running and what did they say exactly?

For sure, there is a mileage and warmup counter that increments since the codes were last reset. They are also reset if the ECM/PCM were updated.. Low mileage and low warmup counts would be a tipoff. There are the emissions tests which take about 200miles of varied driving to complete.

There are also the infamous U-codes that complain about lost communication among modules which occur while PCM and ECM are being downloaded.. There is also a programmer iD field that appears to be updated by the programmer

There's also a few PIDs that indicated whether the PCM firmware was validated or not. It's not clear to me how those are used though.

I see all of these with my AutoEnginuity scanner

There's purportedly a history log of the last 3 regens used for debug purposes. For sure, there's a PID for how many miles since the last full regen and another PID showing miles since the last requested /interrupted regen

I'm sure there are other undocumented PIDs that must record other stuff

Then there's the obvious hand marks or tool wear marks on the nuts/bolts and stuff around the emissions if recently 'touched'
I suppose one could swab further up the tailpipe to check for soot.

Last edited by unbahlievable; 10-19-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:27 AM

I have one of the popular tuners. I spoke to the service manager about a month earlier and at that time he said I'd be good if I put it back to stock. So when I got around to taking it in for HG they said it won't be covered because I don't have gold coolant and was tuned. I couldn't argue because I had already told him about it. I had it stock long enough to have had several regens and I cleaned the tailpipe. Tuner or not they still would have denied it because of the coolant. So it seems as they were just looking for reasons to deny it and I guess you could say they are not mod friendly. Would you believe, I even found my diesel mechanic on this forum asking if an aftermarket coolant filter could cause the coolant system to over pressurize? My warranty would have been up in December.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:40 AM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I could have told you before you went in that they would have denied you for the non gold coolant. What everyone is doing is trying to get ford to pay the bill for running the truck outside factory specs then when it breaks returning it to stock like it was their fault. If it was you as the owner and repairs coming out of your pocket, you would have them searching deep into the situation also.

To the op, if your wanting them to help make sure it is TOTALLY stock, not even aftermarket intake. Your in better standards because your having an issue that they were supposed to fix. On the blue grey smoke issue. Unless there is a code in the computer for something wrong, they are gonna fix it because the blue and grey smoke is "normal" because of dpf regen etc. my truck at 17k miles started blue smoking when in regen, that's when I deleted it and never had any issue with blue smoke again. Tell them your experiencing heavy blue smoke and make it sound worse than it is so they look into it a little and maybe see if there is an issue like checking compression and all that but if there is an issue it should come up when ford looks into it with their software that digs deeper than the codes our tuners can pull

Good luck man, and hopefully they get the oil leak fixed. My 05 and 04 both leaked oil and every time it was in they "supposedly" dyed the oil or something to check for leaks and for some reason couldn't find anything but I'm the crazy one that has marks on the floors of my garages where all my diesels park that "don't" leak the only one that doesn't leak yetis our 2012 6.7 but it only has 6k on it. Give it till 10k and she will be sweating power hahaha
Old 10-20-2012, 05:05 PM

Like they say, you gotta pay to play and I did. But I'm not bitter. I would have been out of warranty in December anyway and i would have eventually wanted to get studded. I was just sooner rather than later. Can't blame a guy for trying. I was just going to go to another shop. But I figured I'd give the dealer a try. I was straight up with the dealer so i wasn't trying to get over on anybody. And for the most part i was i factory specs because i rarely ran high tunes. The only thing i was missing was regens.

Last edited by deamsphelps; 10-21-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.