Upfitter switches and Trailer Brake controller - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upfitter switches and Trailer Brake controller

Hey Guys I'm still in the market for a clean 6.4L to my liking. I should be closing on my house finally this week or next so the search is getting hot. I think I found a truck I would be willing to buy and meets most of my requirements except for its missing the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller and the Upfitter switches.

Is this a spendy thing to add after? I really want the stock ford trailer brake controller for the clean look and the upfitter switches for later lighting options.

Has anyone added these things after or can send me in the right direction?

BTW I did try the search and didnt find much for these questions.. sorry if I missed something obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 PM

I saw a post a while back, not sure where, about a guy adding the upfitter switches. It looked pretty easy, and he said it was about $100 for the factory switches and relay. I'm sure it would be possible and relatively easy for you to do, sorry I don't have more specific information.

As for the brake controller, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to add. I can tell you that the built-in controller functions better than any add-on brake controller I've ever used, in addition to it looking nice in the truck. It works very well, and it would be a definite improvement to any truck. I assume it's possible to add it, but I'm not sure how tough it would be and what you'd have to do.

Sorry I couldn't help you out more, other than to say you're on the right track with wanting those things, especially the brake controller.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I don't know about the brake controller but the upfitters is easy. Search upfitter in the 6.4 electronics section, I have a thread with pics and details in there

Sent from iPhone
Old 10-17-2012, 06:33 PM

If you read the description for this brake controller it makes it sound like the harness for the brake controller only comes on trucks that have the tow package 2010 F250 F 250 Super Duty Tow Haul Electrtic Trailer Brake Controller Ford | eBay

You can verify with your dealer.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I would find a truck that has the trailer brake controler in it already. Upfitters are easy and pretty cheap to add, but the brake controler isnt as easy. I will agree with the above, the ford controler is the best brake controler I have had. I thought I loved my prodigy until I bought this truck.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I did end up buying the truck because its a super clean 2008 job 3 Harley edition with 20k miles for a decent price. I talked the dealer into having their local ford dealer install the TBC and the upfitter switches at their cost. From what they told me its about $1500 in work due to the TBC requiring a different Master Cylinder.

I'll be flying to Denver early November to pick up my dream truck and drive her home.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM

that's correct. The brake controller does require a new master cylinder to get the "pressure reading" from, other than that its just the controller itself.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry to hijack your thread but , I have a similar question. I am also looking to add the factory break controller. If my truck already has the towing package, will it have the proper brake master cylinder? or will I still have to replace it?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckel View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread but , I have a similar question. I am also looking to add the factory break controller. If my truck already has the towing package, will it have the proper brake master cylinder? or will I still have to replace it?
I bet you will have to replace your master cylinder. I'm thinking the basic tow package was pretty much only the receiver hitch. I could be wrong though, look under the hood at the master cylinder and see if there are sensors there.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

alright thanks I will take a look today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.