Debating 35s instead of 37s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Debating 35s instead of 37s

I finally bought some Novakanes! I've had the truck for 2 years and have wanted those wheels since the day I bought it! The truck currently has 37x13.50R18 Mickey Thompson ATZs. Since the new wheels are 20 obviously I need tires too. I am going with Toyo's for the new wheels but am debating going with 35s instead of 37s. What performance increases will I see with the 35s over the 37s? (i.e. horsepower gains, fuel mileage gains)? Does anybody have pics of a 6" lift with 35s? Thanks for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
If you go with a wide 35's like 13" wide it will look good. But I don't like stuffed fenders so I'm partial lol. I run 33.2" tires but 12.6" wide so it looks beefier.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6" on 35's and 20x12's
Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I agree, 35's on a 6" lift look small unless you set them out a tad. If your rims have a close to stock BS then they will look small. Go with a 13" wide and they will look good.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronmcclure View Post
I finally bought some Novakanes! I've had the truck for 2 years and have wanted those wheels since the day I bought it! The truck currently has 37x13.50R18 Mickey Thompson ATZs. Since the new wheels are 20 obviously I need tires too. I am going with Toyo's for the new wheels but am debating going with 35s instead of 37s. What performance increases will I see with the 35s over the 37s? (i.e. horsepower gains, fuel mileage gains)? Does anybody have pics of a 6" lift with 35s? Thanks for you help!
Sorry to be off topic, but you don;t live in Colorado do you? I almost baught a truck that looked identical to yours here in Brighton.
Great looking rig!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to WydOpen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPBJJ View Post
6" on 35's and 20x12's
I'm also joining the "35 vs. 37" club. When my 37's wear out I'll be downsizing. Thanks for the pic, gives me a real good idea of how it will look. With the black wheels, it doesn't look much smaller than my 37's.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
6" Lift with 35X13.5R18 Falken ATs

Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronmcclure View Post
What performance increases will I see with the 35s over the 37s? (i.e. horsepower gains, fuel mileage gains)?
Well, horsepower and torque will remain the same. Power to the ground will feel different though.

35's will increase your effective gearing over 37's (a shorter gear) so acceleration should be better.

If the 35's decrease the rotational mass, fuel economy and other performance should increase. The 37's may hold the edge on MPG though depending on the operating efficiency it places your engine in (at a given RPM at a certain speed) vs. the power required to turn them.

Usually, the 35's are going to feel like your truck is performing better in acceleration and braking (possibly in handling as well) and also MPGs.

Putting actual numbers on those is difficult since we don't know the masses and distances from the axis of the different tires you are choosing.

BTW, mine has 285/65-20s (about 34.7") on it.

Last edited by Doss; 10-17-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:37 AM

I couldn't stand the look of 35s on my truck I think the black fender flares made the gap in the wheel well look that much bigger. Ppl were always saying nice truck but those tires are too small now I have 37s on and it looks a million times better. It's personal preference but my next set will be 37s
Old 10-18-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Sorry to be off topic, but you don;t live in Colorado do you? I almost baught a truck that looked identical to yours here in Brighton.
Great looking rig!
No sir. Southern Illinois. Funny you ask tho because I was born in Englewood and lived in Littleton until I was 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.