08 F550 37' Bucket Truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 F550 37' Bucket Truck

Hey guys and gals! I am new to the site and have found a bunch of great info. I have a company truck that is an 08 f550 37' bucket truck and I'm trying to get the best MPG's out of it. It has about 55000 miles on it and weighs in at a staggering 13,550 lbs on the scale . Looks like I am getting around 8.5-9.5 mpg with a combo of city/hwy driving. What is the best cheapest mod I could do to help this out and maybe, just maybe get a little more power out of it? Thanks!!

Brant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the forum. Deleting the dpf & getting a tuner will be the main thing to do if you're looking for more power and a little better mpg. Spartan and H&S are the 2 most popular tuners with sct in there a bit too. You may be able to find something in the classifieds used so you are looking probably 600 minimum. Maybe you could find an xrt pro H&S with a delete pipe. On 250 and 350's the improvement is 10-20% with 20 being high but it depends on how you drive. I'm not to sure how much improvement you would see on a 550 though.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
The tall gears and weight of your truck are going to make MPG's suffer no matter what. From what I have read, the 450 and 550 guys are only seeing a 5-10% increase in MPG's after tuning because of the gearing. Some have helped that buy going with a taller tire. But as superduty 6.4 said, spartan and H&S are the two big tuners. KEM makes nice custom tunes that can be added on. I personally run KEM tunes and love them.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM

Yep, you're fighting several things here in the MPG department.

Gearing is not going to be great for highway driving (unless for some reason you have 3.73s... which I highly doubt). Adding a taller would help, but that's an expensive proposition on a dually with 19.5s. If you have the 17s, there may be hope, but I don't know enough about tires for these load ratings to tell you anything useful.

A tuner, airbox (intake), and DPF delete will probably help. But, there are some serious issues that are going to keep this from being a Honda Civic.

The other big problem you face is mass. The weight that you're moving around is detrimental to MPGs. It's not terrible when on the highway, but when you're in stop-and-go, it has to be a serious negative. I don't think there's much you can do about that.

The next is drag. On the highway, I'm going to go ahead and assume this thing cuts through the air much like a house. Reduce speeds is all I can offer there.

Increase the tire pressure as much as you can and keep your foot out of the boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.