Originally Posted by RDUB
I just added a Mini Max, 4" DP back straight pipe, and a S&B CAI. I ran the "Mild" tune at the Hot (250 HP) setting, and WOW! What a difference. My 21 year old son was pretty impressed as well. I have a few questions about the settings though since in a couple of weeks I will be hooking up to the 5er and heading south.
1. What tune seems to provide the best fuel milage when towing? Also what power level do you use within the tune?
2. Where do you set the Low Boost Fueling Adjustment? It is currently on the default setting of 2. I do get the puff of black smoke when taking off. I could move it down to 1 or 0 to get less smoke, but what is the impact on every thing else? Do you loose power, or gain milage when going to a lower Low Boost Fueling adjustment?
3. Is there a better shift schedule to use for towing the 5er? Currently it is set on schedule 1 which locks up the converter in 4th and 5th in normal driving.
4. Do I still use the tow button on the truck when towing?
I love the increased power, no doubt about it. However with the upcoming trip I am most focused on getting the best mileage towing the 5er. I have 3.73 gears and loaded the 5er will be around 12,500 to 13,500 lbs.
1) Usually most people use either the no power or mild setting for towing myself included.
2) I keep my low fuel on 1 as well. The higher you go the better the throttle response but the higher the smoke output.
3) I use the s1m for towing as well as daily driving. The s1 tunes keep the trans cooler thanks to the 4 and 5 tc lockup. The fixed shift points are a little frustrating sometimes but they are tolerable. When I get more familiarized with the mcc tuning I will start playing with trans tunes.
4) The tow/haul can be used as long as you are using close to stock power setting as in the no power setting. I myself haven't been using it for towing and I never seem to think about it until I read a post about it but oh well
Hope this helps.