Mysterious oil leak after HG job - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mysterious oil leak after HG job

Just had HG and studs done at dealer (out of pocket but that's another story). The day after I got it back I saw about a 3 inch round spot on my driveway. It never leaked anything before. I got under there and cleaned the area thinking maybe it's just some fluids from the job. I saw the same thing the next two days so I took it back to dealer. they said they cannot duplicate it. I just drove it home tonight after getting a ride from my very annoyed wife. I put the white paper mat that the dealer puts on the floor under the truck and left it running for a bit. Within a few minutes I have a small spot. It never leaked before. It is coming from the rear driver's side of the oil pan. Frustrated as hell to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Damn. Nothing? I hope it's just the oil pan gasket but I can't see why that would leak all of a sudden and they didn't have to mess with that. I can't see oil running down the back of the engine at all like from turbo's or anything.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 AM

Leaks like this are hard for remote people to diagnose because you had work done that could've caused any number of new issues.

You'll have to do some detective work and find out if the oil is coming from up high, running down some tubes, pipes, rails, etc., or just coming from your oil pan.

Clean the area completely around the oil pan and when you notice oil on the pan edge, check above it to make sure it isn't running from higher up.

Good luck and get back as many details as you can to us.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Look in the valley to see if it is standing in oil. There is lots of oil related stuff up top that gets disturbed doing HGs. It very easily can be running over the back and down. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 PM

I see some oil on top of the where the oil pan bolts to on the drivers side. I believe that is the bed plate. I am hoping it is just the dip stick o-ring. I could see that area pretty good with a flashlight and mirror and didn't see any oil on the other side. I can't see anything running down the back or in the valley. Going to dealer tomorrow for the second time for this. Keeping fingers crossed that it is just the dip stick o ring. I am just hoping it's nothing big like rear main seal or bed plate seal. I need it to be something that I can show that the dealer disturbed while doing the HG job as I am not under warranty.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hoping for simple...let us know what they say.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Well my truck is getting an overnight stay at the dealer. The mechanic that did all the other work is on it and agrees that it is probably the dip stick o ring, which they didn't have in stock. Wouldn't you know that it he said he couldn't get it to leak while on high idle on the lift yet I can get it to drip all day in my driveway. Anyway he could see that the area is wet with oil so he will go ahead and do it and put the dye in. We'll see.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Winning DUHHH

is your driveway flat? angled?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 AM

Pretty flat. Very sligbt slope to drivers side.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 AM

I think the actual question should be is your driveway level?

Throw a 48" level on there and check. Most driveway are pitched a certain way to aid drainage.

I have surveyed my property before and couldn't believe the elevation changes where it was seemingly level.

I hope it's just the O-ring. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.