2WD Traction - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2WD Traction

I just purchased a 2008 F250 with the 6.4 crew cab and I can't believe how bad the traction in wet grass or the slightest of mud. *I buddy of mine was saying diesels are really bad about this because of the weight of the engine, is that correct and if so does the 4WD 250 diesel perform that much better, he was saying that due to the engine weight that even the 4WD had a tendency to sink and get dug in? *

I pull a 30' camper so like the diesel but I also do a lot of deer hunting and need to be able to get off road. *

This is my first diesel so I have no baseline on performance. *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
It prolly has more of a highway tire on it then. My truck is 4x4 and I found my self constantly spinning in grass or anything off pavement that wasn't flat. Unloaded there is hardly any weight in the back to help grip up so I was always having to put it in 4 wheel off road. Then got the trail grapplers and the only time I have used 4wd is when I took it to the drag strip. Even with no weight in the back they dig a lot better. But to answer your question, the Diesel engine is heavy which sinks the front end and unloaded leaves not very much weight at the back to get you out.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can't Decide

Thanks. Canít decide if I want to bite the bullet and trade again for the F250 diesel in 4WD or just change out the tires and perhaps add a winch to the front.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

My opinion would be go 4wd. Sounds like it will suit your needs better and the resale is much on a 4wd. Good luck though
Old 10-10-2012, 07:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
since you have the 2wd truck already, put a nice set of AT or MT tires on it and that will help out alot. If you know you are going to out running around in the dirt, put a little weight in the bed to help.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 AM

A great set of tires makes a huge difference in the traction department. Do not discount their value.

How often are you driving in wet grass that you'd trade in a truck just to get more traction?

Any 2WD truck should be at a disadvantage to a 4WD truck in low traction situations. It doesn't matter the brand or engine (all else equal). The advantage 4WD gives you is two more wheels that can "find" traction in a different spot. The power down to each wheel is also an advantage.

I'd say unless you're muddin' a lot or racing on wet grass, I'd stick with a 2WD and good tires for a while and see if that meets my needs before I drop all that extra coin on a 4WD. That winch will help a lot too.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the comments. The truck does have street tires on it so I was thinking some AT’s would help a lot plus I tow my camper a lot and the fuel mileage will suffer if I do the 4WD.

In the fall when it deer hunting session I am pulling onto tractor roads (dirt) almost every weekend and even some weekdays for about three to four months, I do a lot of hunting.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 AM

My ATs pack with a mud a lot but are the most aggressive tires I'd run simply because I drive a lot more highway miles than grass/mud miles. I drag logs with my truck (so I can get to them with my chainsaw mill) and rarely have to put it in 4WD unless the grass or dirt is soaked and the log is really heavy. If I'm pulling with the nose, I usually have to throw it in 4WD with heavier logs (as the heavy drag tends to lift the rear wheels).

To me, it sounds like having a good extra set of hunting tires and rims would do you a lot of good. Only you know what's more valuable to you. Maybe those roads are really nasty and you don't want to get out of the truck every 1/4 mile to winch yourself out. Or, maybe you have long seasons where traction is limited. Those would probably make me choice a 4WD.

All your choice of course. Just weigh it out and pick what's best for you.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM

On my old 250 we'd throw some w eight in the bed and run A/T's. Worked pretty well.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

Teh OP's scenario reminds me of one in my work trukk, 2002 F250 2WD Triton engine. regular cab.It has a service bed, loaded with tools wire, roof rack with ladders. We were on wet grass, backing up and tire were just spinning, truck not moving. I remember teh tires were just plain street tires. With some better tires im sure it would hav done better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2wd, f250, traction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.