Front locking hubs on the 6.4 need to replace - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front locking hubs on the 6.4 need to replace

I notice the driver side locking hub is stuck in the locking position, need to replace it ,the dealer wants 200 bucks each one, the other side is still good. Should I replace with stock or up grade both sides if so what is recommend to replace with after market hubs for a 2008 f350 6.4 thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would take it apart and give it a good cleaning before I replaced it. I haven't done it on these type trucks, just older F150's and it really isnt that hard. It may not be possible, but I would try to clean it up and lube it first.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:05 PM

I have more words in my head than I should be saying for these things, hate them with my life right now!

Passenger side replaced under warranty, now the driver side is acting up out of warranty. I pulled them both off to re-grease the crap out of them and do a quick inspection. My driver side hub had the back C-clip pop out of it, causing my front end to lock up while driving down the road feeling like I am in 4Hi. Fixed the c-clip, re-greased, MUCH better down the road now but still get the odd lock up while driving down the road, mainly after a right hand turn but not always (5 rights leaving my block, no issue, one right turn on the straight to work and it locks, POS). Now focusing on other front end components tonight, rotating tires tonight due to the wear from the hubs locking, hopefully I can find something else wrong but if it all checks out then I do a have a plan...

Buy a new set of hubs, put them in the toolbox in the truck. Take the old hubs out, smash all the locking hub crap out of it and install back on to keep dust/dirt out of the hub. When I need 4wheel I will have to allow myself 10-15 minutes of cold removal and install the new hubs sitting in the tool box. Once I am done I will take them out so I don't deal with the same crap in 2 years.

Spoke with Warn, no hubs available, no plans for R&D.

Not looking to do a $2000 hub conversion, can't think of any other hub companies that make them for the 6.4 but if you know of one please let me know! I'll gladly be the test bunny

Last edited by AllGo'N'Show; 10-11-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I been talking to a guy who is looking in to it for me for some after market hubs most likely going with Manual locking hubs just some thing that doesn't get stuck from Turing it to lock or auto, the snow and salt make turning those stupid things impossible after a few years.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:51 PM

You can remove and lube up pretty easy. Some seem to recommend WD40 for the turn knob on the outside, I used Neo-watercraft grease inside but mine were smooth and no signs of turning issues.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How do you pull them off and grease them?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:29 PM

Just replaced my auto/locking hubs on my 6.4, super easy. Three bolts on the outside to remove and the thing pops right out. Oem already has a grease installed on the hubs sealed in a bag and wasn't recommended to add more. 5 min job for both sides
Old 10-14-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk450er View Post
Just replaced my auto/locking hubs on my 6.4, super easy. Three bolts on the outside to remove and the thing pops right out. Oem already has a grease installed on the hubs sealed in a bag and wasn't recommended to add more. 5 min job for both sides
What was your reason for replacement?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 AM

Bought it used from some old people that spent winters in Florida. Don't honk they ever locked them and I had to use pliers to turn the hubs. Ended cracking the knobs and his was after trying to lube them. While replacing them the one that was almost too stiff to turn with the pliers had numerous broken little pieces of the hub inside. Figuring that had a lot to do with it. Now works butter smooth, and piece of mind was worth it alone but also works like it should.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 AM

Plus I bought them from Dylan at autofair here on the forums for way cheaper than the local dealership. Oem replacements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.