Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

need 6.4 advice

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  69Stang 
#1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 2008 f450 with the powerstroke with 66k miles for $33k. i will be using it to carry 4200 lbs full time as a truck camper...

the truck i am looking at has 4.88 rear gears and does 2600-2700 rpm at 70mph...

is this a good operating range for this engine at 70 mph?, i have never owner a diesel...

or should i be seeking something with a taller gear, like a 4.10 or 3.73...

thanks in adavnce

david

#4 ·
a 450 is WAY too much truck for a 4200lb camper!
Agreed. And 4.88s? That's overkill too.

You could do that with an F250 and 3.55s and probably not even realize the trailer was behind you.

Really, that's exactly the type of load an F150 is for. If you pull it often, I'd move up to an F250 just because (if you don't mind the extra costs of running a Super Duty).

I am not the most experienced trailer puller, but I have towed trucks behind me (5000+ lbs) and I drag 2000-5,000 lb logs through the mud and dirt with my truck. It doesn't seem to care much about any of those.

Now, 10,000 lb logs and deepset fenceposts in root-infested clay put up a fight though.

#3 ·
yeah, for only 4200lb that is a little much. If its mainly going to be a pleasure thing, the most i would do is a 4.10 but a 3.73 would be preferred!

#5 ·
With that weight you can probably get away with 3.55's or even 3.31's. Not sure when you have to switch over to a different carrier though and on the rear end in the 450's I am not sure if they are readily available or not. I would give Randy's ring and pinion a call.

#6 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 2008 f450 with the powerstroke with 66k miles for $33k. i will be using it to carry 4200 lbs full time as a truck camper...

david
You'll need another $33k just to maintain that monster. Running it in the 2600-2700 rpm is too high in my opinion, you'll get the max torque about 2000-2250 rpm. Keep in mind those f-450 with the 4.88 axle are very thirsty beast. I know it because I own one and the maintenance is very high and you will spend all of your hard earned money at the pump.

Nelson

#7 ·
You are talking about a camper that fits in the bed, correct? Not a pull type trailer?

#10 ·
David,

I would probably look for a F350 with a higher GVWR. I didn't notice that much of a ride difference with mine being beefer. It would also give some extra capacity should you step up to a 5'er. As to the gears I would agree with others that 3.55s and 3.73s are plenty for want you are trying to do.

There are a lot of screaming deals out there on 250s/350s '08 up thru 2010 with less mileage than the one your looking at. You would probably save $1000s while finding a truck with less mileage. '08 thru '10 should be all over the place. Although, for some reason, I don't see as many as I did when I purchased mine used '10 sum 18 months ago. Maybe other people have figured out what most of us know; the 6.4 IH is a damn good plant. Remember to tune it, dump the EPA stuff, change fluilds and filter regulary and you'll be good to go!

Good luck

#12 ·
Looks like a F350 4X4 dually would put you over 5000 lb payload capacity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.