Winter Tire Suggestion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Winter Tire Suggestion

I have an 08' F-350 Harley Davidson and I am looking for a good set of Winter Rated tires. I am looking for a tire that fits my stock 20'' rims, most likely 275 65 20r. The plan is to put them on the stock rims then get new rims next year for the summer or grab another set of stock Harley rims. My issue is that I live in British Columbia, Canada and you need winter rated tires to keep your vehicle insurance valid on certain highways. Lots of truck tires are rated for mud and snow but they have to have the little symbol that has a triangle with a snow flake on it. I thought it would be a simple thing to find but I am having troubles finding many tires that fit my needs. I am looking to buy the tires online from the states because they are literally half the price than purchasing locally. So if anyone has suggestions It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
goodyear duratrac is snow rated with the flake. alot of guys love them, and they get pretty good mileage out of them too
Old 10-09-2012, 04:18 PM

I was in the same boat as you and I live just south of your boarder. Several guys told me in a previous post that the Michelins LTX A/T2 did good in snow. I found a set on Craig's List for $600 (LT275/65R20). They had less than 30 miles on them before the previous owner had 36" tires and a lift installed. I mean these had the injection stubs still sticking out of them. I figure I can chain up a couple of times for the savings on replacing 20" tires. However, I don't expect that much trouble with a sled deck or a 4 place V-nove behind me this winter. Good Luck

Last edited by Arco3580; 10-09-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 AM

The Michelins work fine in the snow even with 30k miles on them. Not sure that the GY Duratrac is snowflake rated in this size though. Better check.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
The duratracs have the snow flake symbol on them
Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

I'm adding to the GY duratrac group. They have the snowflake, look aggressive, accept studs, very little road noise, and wear very nicely on these trucks.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjamin View Post
I am looking to buy the tires online from the states because they are literally half the price than purchasing locally.
I was about to pull the trigger on some Nitto Terra Grapplers from Discount Tire until I got to the checkout and there was like $400+ in shipping, duty, and tax added to the price. The tires were cheaper to buy in town than to buy them from the US.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco3580 View Post
I was in the same boat as you and I live just south of your boarder. Several guys told me in a previous post that the Michelins LTX A/T2 did good in snow. I found a set on Craig's List for $600 (LT275/65R20). They had less than 30 miles on them before the previous owner had 36" tires and a lift installed. I mean these had the injection stubs still sticking out of them. I figure I can chain up a couple of times for the savings on replacing 20" tires. However, I don't expect that much trouble with a sled deck or a 4 place V-nove behind me this winter. Good Luck
They'll do okay in the snow, but BC requires you to have winter-rated tires on some roads. It's a pretty big pain in the ***.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
I was about to pull the trigger on some Nitto Terra Grapplers from Discount Tire until I got to the checkout and there was like $400+ in shipping, duty, and tax added to the price. The tires were cheaper to buy in town than to buy them from the US.
Any official nitto retailer won't ship them to Canada anyways, because of Kal Tire's deal with Nitto.

I had a set of Trail Grapplers on my last truck and they were less than half the price to buy them in the states from Discount Tire Direct, ship them to a warehouse in Montana, and drive to pick them up from near Edmonton.

BFG All-Terrain T/A's are rated for snow in specific sizes. The stock size (275/60/20) is not, but you could go to a 285/55/20 or a 285/65/20 and those sizes ARE winter rated.

I would personally run DuraTrac's though. I don't think they're quite as good as a Toyo or Trail Grappler in super deep powder, but they're 90% as good and great on icy roads. You can even have them studded.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboryan View Post
Any official nitto retailer won't ship them to Canada anyways, because of Kal Tire's deal with Nitto.
Looked into driving down to the border, Coutts/Sweetgrass to pickup the tires shipped from Discount Tire. After factoring in the cost of fuel and the cost of taking a day off work since the warehouse service is only open Monday-Friday and every other Saturday with limited hours, I decided to bite the bullet and spend the extra money and just buy them here. Got my tires for a decent price too. About $100 less a tire than what Kal Tire quoted and free mounting and balancing.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:13 PM

Duratrac's are great, I am running DMV1's this winter but next winter I will probably try out some Toyo WLT1, real commercial winter tire that can handle whatever we throw at the truck. The DMV1's meet the weight rating but not a true 10ply, I don't mind this winter as I am not hauling anything but next winter I plan on it.

Anyone in Calgary or area that needs tires I can do my best for you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.