New F350 Owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New F350 Owner

Hi guys I am a new F350 owner with the 6.4 motor so I figured I would sign up over here. I just sold my V-10 Excursion to buy the F350 I hope I wont regret it.

This is my first Diesel motor so I am sure I will have a ton of questions to ask you guys. I have found a lot of useful information on this forum so far - Thanks!

Since it is used and I was not sure what the previous owner had done to it I decided to change the oil and replace both fuel filters yesterday, the advice on this site made it less painful then it could have been. Man Diesel parts are expensive!! LOL I used Motorcraft filters and Motorcraft oil for now until I do some research on the subject.

Anyways the truck is a 2008 F350 Lariat Crewcab Long bed 4X4 with 26,500 miles on the odometer. I had a friend run an Oasis report for me and it came back clean other than the previous owner complaining about a vibration when pulling his trailer. The warranty report shows that the dealer shimmed the pinion angle? Not sure what that is about but I guess I will find out when I start hauling my Travel Trailer with it.

I am taking it to Ford tomorrow to have them perform an inspection before they will let me purchase an extended warranty. The factory warranty runs out next month and looking under the hood I dont think I want to be without some warranty on this beast. Do you guys have an opinion on the Ford ESP warranty's? I am trying to decide if I need the premium care or if the extra care would be good enough, there is a pretty good $$ difference between the 2 of them.

Thanks again for the help so far and like I said I am sure I will have a bunch of questions in the future.

Rc
Attached Thumbnails
New F350 Owner-photo-oct-06-4-43-58-pm.jpg   New F350 Owner-photo-oct-06-4-44-12-pm.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to upd103 Send a message via Skype™ to upd103
Beautiful truck man and Welcome.

Do a lot of research on here. You will find that deleting the DPF and the EGR are the best ways to increase your reliability. However, you can't do that and keep your warranty.

So take some time and weigh your options to see what's best for you.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 AM

I discussed Premium vs Extra in one of my posts last month. If you want the stuff covered that's probably going to break, you need PremiumCare. ExtraCare doesn't handle any of the emissions equipment that will fail. Pretty much everything else is the same between the two.

A few other small issues are the entertainment stuff (good if you have factory nav, but not necessary since they don't break often) and if you have some issue with the AC/heater that requires removing the dash.

In my opinion, if you're going the warranty route, you might as well go PremiumCare. The difference shouldn't be big on your truck with so few miles.

When faced with this decision last month, I decided to just delete and tune the truck instead. You'll see that just about everyone else feels the same too. It's not that simple though if you live in an emissions testing state.

If you have any questions, feel free to send them my way as I have charts and graphs and all sorts of things on this topic... even a dealer where you can buy the warranty from (still will require dropping the truck off for inspection at a Ford dealer).
Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 AM

Thanks for all the replies and information guys. I was leaning towards the warranty only because the truck has such low miles (27K) and I dont think it has been driven enough to show problems that may show up in time. I also have a small advantage in the fact that the company I work for is owned by a "parent" company that also owns a bunch of car dealers including a few Ford stores. Although technically I dont work for a "Ford Dealer" there is an agreement within the organization that all employees get the same benefits and discounts as a courtesy just as if you worked for the dealer. We get "D" plan pricing, cost on parts & also dealer cost on the ESP warranties. I priced the warranties via the internet at sites like fordwarranties.com & lombard ford etc... and the prices I were quoted from the local dealer here were about $200-$300 less that the internet price so I think I am getting a decent deal.

As it turns out I took the truck in yesterday to have them perform a courtesy inspection before I could purchase the ESP warranty, it seems that is standard practice if you are not covered under the 3yr 36k anymore. The service guy called me and said everything looks good except a small oil leak (I actually noticed that when I was under the truck but figured I would get the warranty first before mentioning anything). He said it was coming from the "Bed Plate" and that it was a pretty major job although not uncommon and the tech he has doing it is well versed in the job. He then went on to explain that the cab of the truck has to come off and the motor has to be removed and flipped over to perform the repairs. Needless to say I am shocked and a little concerned that at 27K this truck needs the motor taken out. He said there is nothing to worry about and it is designed to be serviced that way, he said it will be good as new. He also said they will change out all of the coolant, recharge the AC and perform a fresh Oil & Filter change before returning it to me.

Now the good part is that I still have 3 weeks left of the 5yr 100,000 mile warranty and this job is covered completely under that plan. What he also mentioned to me was that this truck was purchased as a Certified Pre Owned vehicle by the 2nd owner and that I had the CPO power train coverage still in effect until Nov 2013 or 100,000 miles - I did not know that and thought it was pretty cool of him to clue me in. He also gave me the keys to a 2012 Chevy 1500 rental for the duration of the repair at no cost to me other than fuel & $5 a day NJ tax surcharge or something.

So overall I am not thrilled that at 27K my motor has to come out but I am very pleased with the dealer and that it is covered under warranty. I am almost 100% positive I am going to pick up the 4YR 48K Premium ESP after this just to have some piece of mind. I figure hopefully by 75K anything that is going to go wrong would have and then I can feel a little better about tuning and deleting the truck.

As an added bonus my office window faces the dealer service bays and I can see my truck in the last bay being worked on. I may walk over and try and snap some pictures when I see him raising the cab. The service guy told me that it should take about 3 days to do the job, I hope so because I am not a big fan of this Chevy 1500 loaner.

Thanks
Rc
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 AM

That's great that it's all being covered under warranty and also that you already have another existing warranty in place (I'm guessing the previous owner bought the PowertrainCare warranty).

The bed plate is just one of the issues that goes wrong on some of the trucks. I don't think it's a "common" problem, but people do have it.

The bad thing about driving your truck with all that emissions equipment on it until 70,000+ miles is a lot of the damage those systems are going to cause will be done in that time period.

Look for pictures of the EGR system and how filled up it gets with soot after only about 40-50,000 miles and you'll see what I mean. Also, if you can get them to fill it with something besides Ford Gold, I'd do it. You can look for pictures of what that coolant does to your oil cooler and you'll probably opt not to have it put back in.

It's great to have peace of mind and I totally understand where you're coming from. The warranty should do you well and if you leave it stock, it's the way to go.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:13 AM

So I decided to swing by the open bay on my lunch break today and had the opportunity to chat with the Tech doing the work on my truck. Seems like a real knowledgeable fellow and was happy to take a few minutes and show me the leak and what was going on and the repair he was going to perform.

He also pointed out a few other things like my Oil Cap was not factory but a NAPA brand replacement that was actually longer than stock allowing my oil filter to ride high in the housing. He suggested that I have the 4 year old batteries load tested and replaced if they did not pass the test and also changing the transmission fluid and filter. He is going to give it a good once over while everything is apart.

On a side note I asked him off the record what he thought of the idea of removing the DPF and putting a tune on it to stop the regens. He 100% agrees with ripping that sucker off and tuning it, he said the system as it sits does far more harm than good. He said if it were his truck he would pull DPF off plus the EGR system and be done with it. I was kind of surprised with his answer, I thought he would have replied with a canned type of answer like you can but Ford does not recommend it etc.... but nope he got right to the point.

So now I am even more confused on warranty / delete & tune and really need to weigh my decisions carefully. Although without really saying so I was led to believe that it would not be a problem if I had a complaint in the future and I was deleted / tuned.

Pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
New F350 Owner-photo-oct-10-11-28-03-am.jpg   New F350 Owner-photo-oct-10-11-35-52-am.jpg  
Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 AM

I think deleting, tuning and maintenance are the best things you can do for the truck . If all goes well the cab will be coming off my truck this spring
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM

If this was planned right, you could've dropped in some head studs, deleted the EGR, and replaced the intake while you have easy access.

The headstuds would've been the biggest money saver right at this point.

Your tech isn't alone on that opinion. The off-the-record response I get from most service guys is to delete everything you can because that is the stuff that they end up fixing every time.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:30 AM

Hey thanks for the reply, yea I didnt plan ahead enough to discuss the items you mentioned.

After much research on here plus the recommendation from the Tech it looks like I am going to cross over to the dark side and do the tuner / delete kit.

I scored a used Spartan setup on Ebay for what I consider a reasonable price and the guy is local so I can view it and verify that he returned it to stock before I purchase, I understand it will cost me $100 to have it setup for my truck. I am fine with that and think it is fair.

So I guess my next question is going to revolve around the exhaust / delete options. At a minimum I will do the DPF/DOC delete but I am thinking I might as well do the whole system as the prices are not that much more than just the delete kits.

I am still going to purchase the ESP warranty and if I have a problem I will need to return everything to stock before I take it in, as I said earlier the Tech is MOD friendly so to speak but out of respect I would not want to flaunt the MODS if I need service and risk a problem.

So what would be easier to return to stock? Just the DOC/DPF delete or the whole system? Is there any disadvantages do just doing the deletes rather than the whole system, MPG, Performance wise or is it really just about the sound?

And the next question if I decide to do the whole thing 4in or 5in? Single or dual, muffler or not, AFE, MBRP, Diamond Eye?

I know a lot of questions and I know that everyone has their own opinions so that is why I am asking, looking for input from those that have been in my shoes already.

On a side not the dealer called me last night and said I should be done today, but looking across the street here I see my cab still in the air so we shall see.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.