Thinking about upgrading - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about upgrading

So about 6 months ago I got the Mrs our first 6.0. Fortunately even with 200k on it it is one of the good ones. However I can't work out of an Excursion. Plus I would only like to trade down one generation this time.

My question for you 6.4 guys is:

How do you like your truck? (please limit this to guys with at least 50k miles or 2yrs ownership, I like a true opinion not that of a kid who's still dazzled by the shiny new truck his dad bought him off craigslist)

How do you use it? work, play, party, heavy towing/hauling, mud, snow, rain, sand, extreme cold/heat, etc. Had it on any moderately technical trails? Lots of highway or backroads?

How often to you Repair it? What do you typically repair?

How often do you maintain it? Do you actually maintain it or do you change the oil?

Sorry for all the questions but my vehicles are an extension of me. I require them to be dependable and friendly enough to establish a long relationship with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well i have had mine for a year and still loving it like a new truck and my daddy didnt buy it for me lol. Anyways its been great deleted, tuned, and running strong put about 25k miles on it all ready pulled 35ft fifth wheel 24ft enclosed snowmobile trailer averaged around 10 mpg. Been through-30 plus winter all ready did fine one time fuel gelled up my fault though. I do the oil changes fuel filters for maintenance. But all in all pretty happy with it and many more years to come with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 PM

I've had mine for 5+ years. I love the truck. I use mine year round and it has been relatively trouble free. I had the leaking rad problem shortly after I got it but other than that it has been excellent. I use it for daily driving as well as towing my trailer. I tuned and deleted at 65,000 kms. I change the oil every 10,000km and have done so since new. Fuel filters every20,000km since new. I have 120,000kms on it now and it runs awesome. I use in in temps from +30 Celsius to -40 Celsius. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask
Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelliousw0n View Post
So about 6 months ago I got the Mrs our first 6.0. Fortunately even with 200k on it it is one of the good ones. However I can't work out of an Excursion. Plus I would only like to trade down one generation this time.

How do you like your truck? (please limit this to guys with at least 50k miles or 2yrs ownership, I like a true opinion not that of a kid who's still dazzled by the shiny new truck his dad bought him off craigslist)

How do you use it? work, play, party, heavy towing/hauling, mud, snow, rain, sand, extreme cold/heat, etc. Had it on any moderately technical trails? Lots of highway or backroads?

How often do you maintain it? Do you actually maintain it or do you change the oil?

Sorry for all the questions but my vehicles are an extension of me. I require them to be dependable and friendly enough to establish a long relationship with.
I have had my truck 15 months and about 20k miles and earned every penny that went into the initial purchase of my truck and every mod that went on it. A diesel super duty has always been my dream truck and I don't think I will ever get tired of this 6.4.

In all honesty I believe years down the road people will revere the 6.4 like the 7.3. It is a great motor that was screwed up by EPA required emissions crap.

I do not tow with my truck but I have a disease called M.A.D. (Modification Addiction Disorder) similar to the likes of Aaron Rudolph or Erik Clausen (just with MUCH shallower pockets and I'm still very much learning). Therefore I mod my truck for power and fun just to see what it can do. And to tell you the truth it holds up to quite a bit of abuse. Haven't had to repair a thing. I don't abuse my truck however and I do ALL the maintenance. Maintenance on these vehicles are key. Oil changes and filter, draining the fuel/water separator every month, fuel filters every 10k, check coolant, and I just mod like crazy to make it bulletproof.

Don't get me wrong I will never claim to know it all, but cars have always been my passion and in the past 2 years I have gotten into the Diesel world a lot. I'm not gonna BS you, but I do love my truck.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 PM

I ordered mine new in '07. I have loved it every minute I have owned it.

deleted, tuned, lifted, etc.

only repair was ball joints when I did the lift kit. Ford ball joint SUCK! Other than that just fuel filters and oil changes...

She was a garage queen for a while, but DD now, so roads, construction sites, towing, rain, snow, I still get a chubby driving it...
Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Do I like my truck? If it is appropriate to love an inanimate object then no I don't like my truck I love it! I've currently got about 47k on the ticker, this December will be 3 yrs of ownership. My Dad did not buy it for me.

I use my truck as a daily driver and to tow my jeep to the trails. So far I have been all over the country with it. From Washington state to Florida, Florida to Texas and back, Florida to Colorado and back a couple of times, and up and down the east coast many times. Living in FL for the most part we deal with high humidity, lots of rain. I would consider the climate mild however as far as temps go. The few times in CO the coldest it was, was -4 fahrenheit. So not too cold and not too hot for me. Recently though with the few tropical storms we have had where I live I have had to drive the truck through some pretty substantial water. Not a problem, just kept a nice bow wake. The couple of trails I have had it on it did ok. I didn't buy it for that however, and am use to a lifted and locked Jeep on 38's for off road use.

Since owning the truck I have had to have ONE thing repaired. It was a butterfly valve in the AC system. Replaced under warranty.

I have the truck maintained at a dealer. I don't have the time to maintain the truck myself (time is money). I have it maintained based on the Severe service plan which is, oil change every 5k, fuel filters every 10k. Maintenance is KEY with these engines.

I plan to have this truck FOREVER. All miles driven so far have been stock. DPF/EGR in tact. In about 5 days I will be deleting the DPF, installing a MBRP straight pipe from the DP back, and installing an S&B intake. I am tired of the regens.

Speaking of regens, if the truck you do buy is stock, and you don't delete the DPF it is VERY important that you let the truck complete the regen cycle. That is where people run into the problems I believe. The less time the truck spends in regen the better. So if you are pulling into your neighborhood and the truck starts a regen, you just bought yourself a nice little cruise. Otherwise the next time you drive it, its going to try and regen again, and again, and again, and again.... Until it finishes.

Bottom line the 6.4 is AWESOME. I could not be happier with my purchase.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 PM

Wish I had know about the regen details back when my cousin had his. he wimped out got tired of his truck only getting 8 mpg traded it for a dmax. The EPA has to go and f it up for everybody. Kinda makes me wanna ninja swap a 6.4 or 6.7 into my '97.

I'm pretty sure I'll be stepping into a new(er) truck soon. Anything will run forever if it's loved. Problem is around here guys are proud of their trucks. With my budget I'm probably looking at a theft recovery or something similar. Would be nice to say I've owned a diesel with less than 200k tho.

How do the trucks do as far as handling? I like a truck you can put into a corner if need be to avoid an accident. Do they have over invasive TCS and ESPs? How are they for exhaust braking, or is aftermarket required?

What about cold starts? If I forget to plug it in will I regret it?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 PM

Not sure about the cornering never really took one to hard seems to handle fine though. Cold starts are amazing even without being plugged in i run rotella t t6 5w 40. Like i said earlier about-30 weather never plugged it in and she fired up no problem. Exhaust brakes did not come with the 6.4s they started with 6.7s as far as i know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-06-2012, 03:06 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Wish I had know about the regen details back when my cousin had his. he wimped out got tired of his truck only getting 8 mpg traded it for a dmax. The EPA has to go and f it up for everybody. Kinda makes me wanna ninja swap a 6.4 or 6.7 into my '97.

I'm pretty sure I'll be stepping into a new(er) truck soon. Anything will run forever if it's loved. Problem is around here guys are proud of their trucks. With my budget I'm probably looking at a theft recovery or something similar. Would be nice to say I've owned a diesel with less than 200k tho.

How do the trucks do as far as handling? I like a truck you can put into a corner if need be to avoid an accident. Do they have over invasive TCS and ESPs? How are they for exhaust braking, or is aftermarket required?

What about cold starts? If I forget to plug it in will I regret it?
I would be somewhat wary of a high mileage 6.4 that is stock. As said before the emissions stuff kills this motor and that is a long time with the emissions stuff. Also that is a long time that someone could be not doing proper maintenance. I'm not saying there aren't guys out there who do it and are fine, I'm just saying be cautious.

My truck handles alright and corners well for a late truck. It's obviously not going to be a sports car. I have thrown it into some suggested 15mph corners at 25-30, it does well except the back tends to want to get loose of the road gets a little rough or I get on the skinny pedal (the suspension is super stiff and 500+rwhp doesn't help wheels stay planted). There are lots of guys who take out the rear blocks and put coils from a 5.4 gasser in them and I'm sure they corner a lot better. I also have a 08 so no TSC. I don't actually know when that got added.

Also can't really help you on cold starts as Dallas doesn't get real cold...

Sent from a phone smarter than me.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
I also have a 08 so no TSC. I don't actually know when that got added.

I have a job 1 truck, FX4, and it has a TCS off button and a "two track slippy curve" symbol lights up on the dash when the tires slip a bit in gravel or sand.

I've only had my truck for a couple of months.... It was well maintained by the previous owner and has been deleted and tuned for a long time. I replaced the leaking radiator hoses (it was a TSB) and flushed/cleaned the cooling system, and change the oil, filters and fuel filters first thing.

I drive around 400 miles per week, and can't wait until the snow flies. I'll start hunting 4-5 days a week beginning next week (mostly birds) so I'll get to drive through some trails to get to parking spots that get pretty tore up.

I was leary at first with this truck, especially after reading a lot of the problems people were having. But there are lots more with no problems at all. Pick your truck wisely, tune, delete, maintain and enjoy for a long time.

MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.