help with front end got bad steering wheel shake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help with front end got bad steering wheel shake

Got bad shake in front.Will new steering stabilizer help or what do i need.What brand of staberliiz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had the same thing. I required $4000 in front end repairs. Needed a new trackbar, draglink, steering gear, and castor adjusters. I also added a dual Bilstein steering stabilizer that I bought from Top Gun Customz.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

get a dual steering stabilizer and take the stock one off.. i got the rough country dual steering stablizer with bilistein shocks off ebay. works awesome
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

wadepowerstroke

My truck is stock same size tires never been of road is the front end of these trucks that bad
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 PM

My truck is also stock. Running the same sized tires as were spec'ed by Ford and am not lifted. My OEM trackbar bushing had a lot of play in it. I too don't offroad my truck and am not hard on it. I also only have about 40,000 miles on it.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do a search for "death wobble" and you will get several results. This will always be one of those things that are hit and miss for people. Some items work for some but not for others. I think it is a track bar issue. I had the same issue that you describe. I did a bunch of research and the general consensus was that it was an issue with the track bar. I happened to go to 4 wheel parts to see what a stronger aftermarket would run me. I lucked out and the BD diesel unit was on sale for 200 bucks. I said might as well start here since several guys think this is the issue and it is adjustable so I can center up my front axle since I have the leveling kit. Fixed all of my problems. I have 10k on the truck since I put it on. I am not saying that this is going to solve your issue but it is a great place to start since I think they retail for 230 and it is something you can easily put on yourself.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:17 AM

check your tie rods and ball joints first. adding a track bar and dual ss will help like others said. im in the process of doing this.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

wadepowerstroke

What brand of track bar
Old 10-05-2012, 08:43 AM

I had the same issue with my truck shaking at slow speeds and pulling to either direction and getting more violent as the speed increased. I assumed it was front end "death wobble" issues, so I took it in to the dealer for them to fix it. Turns out the drivers side Conti-trac tire had split in the middle and formed a pimple the size of a grapefruit/softball on it. Funny thing is, everytime I drove it before and would stop and check my entire front end, i would always somehow manage to put it in park directly on top of the split. So I wouldnt ever notice it, thank the lord I didnt blow out the tire.

Ford was nice enough to pay for half of the new tire and all of the labor even though the tire warranty was out by a long shot. Not sure what would have made them pay for any of it, I didnt nag and b*tch at them for this. Plus I left all my deletes and tuner in place and they didnt care and even chatted with me about it and the trucks they see coming in with the deletes. Seemed like a mod friendly dealer and will have my service in the future.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I got the BD diesel track bar. There are some really expensive ones out there that are overkill in my opinion unless you running 40+" tires. I think the main issue is in the rubber bushing at the factory mount at the frame. The BD diesel one comes with a polyurethane bushing. Like I said before I am not saying that this will cure your issue but for the money it is relatively cheap, a good place to start and you can throw it on yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.