Keep or not to keep.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Keep or not to keep....

Well I have owned my truck for about a month now.. And already been in the shop once. My worry is im at 90,600 miles now and almost out of warranty. The extended warranty cost a fortune and the added expense would add about 240 a month to my payment = $740/month payment. For that or maybe less I could get into a new truck. Truth is I just bought a house and cant fathom dropping 3k+ on a repair if something happens to this truck!! ( dont shoot!!!) Dodge is offering me a hell of a deal on 2500 well loaded Cummins 4x4 A little better equipped than my truck right now minus leather seats. I just cant find a well equipped Ford for that price... HELP!!!!!

Alonzo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 AM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
if ur not modding it then i would say to get a new truck. if your modding it, i think it would be better to just skip aftermarket warranty and start bullet proofing the truck
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 AM

Well Im not doing anything right now. May wait till about december or so. Besides a dpf delete, egr delete and tune. What else should be a priority?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
delete the emissions stuff, then start saving for head studs. I would flush the coolant and put extended life coolant in it instead of the ford gold. Then keep saving that monthly payment of the warranty and save it for the next issue. an as you have issues you will be able to replace with bullet proof items. but once ya get the studs in there on top the emissions stuff deleted, its gonna be pretty much bullet proof.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:07 AM

You pretty much have your biggest bases covered. Maybe a coolant filter and an air dog. Studs will most likely be needed with a higher tune. But it sounds like you are wanting longevity, not racetruck.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 AM

Yep, you're where I was about 2 weeks ago (except buying another truck isn't an option), but I was about to cross 80k miles. You need to either bulletproof it or get a warranty. The one problem I have with BP'ing is that if it breaks, now you get to pay for the breakage and still paid for the BP'ing. If you were to buy another truck, I'd make sure it was brand new or still relatively new or you'll be in this situation again soon. Regardless, I don't know how you can buy a new truck and come out better than keeping the current one overall (unless they do a straight up trade or value your trade at what you paid for it). You're just moving numbers around that you'll still end up paying.

If you're still thinking of leaving it stock, let me know and I may know where you can get a Ford warranty (if you don't go with one of the online Ford ones). I have a Ford dealership I work with that can get you set up. IIRC, they're 0% interest.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Thanks guys im in tough spot for sure. Thats what I get for buying a used truck... Seeing as the radiator and hoses just got replaced no need for a coolant flush.. Was planning on doing the delete and tune in a couple of weeks. What does the Airdog do?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Doss: thanks for the offer on the warranty help. My local dealer offered me the 0% interest with 10% and 17 monthly payments. Just crazy amount of money for the warranty. As far as a new truck goes I would get a brand new one I dont mind high mileage if I was the one that put them on, but I have no idea what this truck went through for its first 89000 miles!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM

No problem. Just realize those warranties are all sorts of different prices depending on where you buy them from. My guy was pretty much spot on what the high-volume online dealer prices were. It's good to shop those Ford warranties around. They are all the same (if they are FORD warranties)... just different prices at different dealers. You should have at least the ExtraCare, BaseCare, PowertrainCare, and DieselCare options still available to you. Those are 4 different Ford warranties.

Airdog just smooths out the fuel delivery and eliminates the air. Youtube some of their demos and you'll quickly understand. FASS offers a similar product.

You could also get a coolant and transmission filter (both external). This is basically making sure every system is good to go. Speaking of transmissions, if you haven't flushed it yet, I'd do it before your mileage gets too high and you have absolutely no warranty coverage.

The key to making these trucks last is not pounding on them like they're race trucks and maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Cannot stress that enough. If you neglect a modern diesel (no matter what brand), you're asking for a repair bill.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Well guys I am taking the advice of you wise folks on here and keeping my truck. Going to do the deletes and maintain it. Add some filters and such. About the transmission, should i take it to the dealer or have my uncle do it for me ( he has his own transmission shop) may take it to him and beef it up some so I wont be so worried about it. TravisH3 made a good point I can put the money away and have it there for a repair need it ever arise. Thanks again guys keep the info coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.