New truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New truck

Well I sold the old 7.3 and it's time for a new truck. I found a white f250 XL 4x4 6.4l with 79,000 miles on it for $12,800. To it seems cheap although it is kinda plain compared to my old XLT. You guys probably know the prices better then I is this cheap for a fleet maintained clear title truck? Oh it was a border patrol truck so no back seat or tail gate so I will need to get those. Ant advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Seems very cheap with decently low miles. Sounds like the perfect truck to buy and to put a couple grand in it and have a fully bullet proof 6.4 for well under $20k. If u don't buy it, I'm sure it won't last long lol
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 AM

Yeah I am all set to buy it. I'm just not excited about the 1,800 mile drive home to MI from Texas. I'm going to sell the big brush guard and use the $ to get a dpf delete, exhaust, intake, and Spartan tune. I would like to see 20-24 mpg out of it. I may even go with propane injection too. We will see.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check the engine hours. BP Agents sit in the vehicles while idling for several hours a night. Assume it was driven hard too. Government property is never treated as well personal.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-04-2012, 04:07 AM

Good info. How do Incheck the hours?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:27 AM

Its on the screen where your miled read out.. Hit the button until it shows " hold for system check" hold button and it will run through it sequence in that cycle it will show your engine hours.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 AM

Anyone have any idea on what the average hours should be for an 80k truck? That may help him some. I know mine has over 2000 hours at 81k... haven't checked it in a while since I rarely idle my truck.

20-24 MPG is pretty ambitious for a 4x4 6.4... even tuned. The 20 is do-able. The 24 you better hope for some downhill and tailwind.

If you can get an OASIS report on the truck, that would be great. And, since it was a government service vehicle, I'd get a pretty thorough inspection of everything since this is roughly the time some of the bad things that can happen to the 6.4 manifest. Whereever you're getting it from, I'd get the fuel filters swapped and oil changed before rolling back to MI.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would say averaged in the 3000 hrs would be about right. I have heard a lot of people don't like to look at vehicles where the average speed is under 20. I didn't do enough research on the subject and I have a higher hr vehicle but have been pretty lucky so far.

As far as mileage. You might be able to get in the low 20s if you lower it (make it as aerodynamic as possible), put some tall narrow low rolling resistance tired on, throw a hot tune on and KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF THE SKINNY PEDAL, get rid of the airflow restrictions (intake, intercooler upgrade, CAC pipe, down pipe, exhaust), airdog fuel system, etc.

But it is said often and the adage holds 'tune for power not mileage or you will be disappointed'. Mileage is just an added bonus to power gain.

I would also try to get them to change ALL fluids if possible.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It is going to be pretty hard to get to the MPG's you want on a 4x4. The best I ever got on my ECLB 4x4 with 3.73's deleted with flopro straight exhaust and AFE intake and running spartan 275 was 18 and that was all highway. I hear the 310 gets better but I don't want to run the risk of needing a new tranny.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM

Adding to 713 and CountryAggie, it'll also depend on which truck you get. Let me explain. If you look at the MPG claims by everyone on the 6.4 forums, they are all over the board (anywhere from 8 or 9 to 17 or 18 stock | 9 to 20 tuned). Even when similar driving conditions are compared, this truck just varies and sometimes by large margins.

713 for instance is showing 18 MPG best being deleted with intake and exhaust. I've have hand-calc'd an 18.1 MPG with the truck being stock save for larger aftermarket rims and tires (with 3.73's). My truck seems to be above MPG for the average stock truck here. I get about 13.5-15.5 on my daily commute to work (12 miles 1/2 hwy 1/2 stop and go).

You can get a bad one or a good one. Who knows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.