On-board air with belt driven comressor. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
On-board air with belt driven comressor.

Im wanting to do an on-board air system to run air bags, air tools, and horns.
What Im wanting to find is an air compressor that is engine driven.
I do have the spot for a dual alternator and was hoping to put the compressor there. Has anyone done this yet? I would like to see some pictures of what yall have done. Also looking for a good place to mount a tank, I got a ecsb. Would anyone know where to buy an air compressor that would be belt driven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

An Air Commander Engine Driven pump would work as would a York (if you can find one in the correct size). Some people use modified AC's as well.

The Air Commander is over $1000 and the bracket alone for the York stuff is at least half as much as the Air Commander.

Is there any reason (besides outright speed/CFM-delivered) that you want an engine-driven air compressor rather than an electric? Do you plan on running big impact guns and other high-powered tools continuously?

Just wondering b/c the cost of the electric ones is so much cheaper and you can get almost the same benefits by just installing a larger tank for most tasks (almost... but not quite). Not trying to knock what you want to do or anything... I'm sure you get the picture.

For tank mounting locations, some people throw it in the bed, some in a toolbox, but if you want under the truck, look at the space around the framerails under the bed. There's room there and you can fit all sorts of capacities depending on tank shape.

Last edited by Doss; 10-03-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, as far as modified a/c compressors which style are you talking about, new style or old style?

The reason I want belt driven, is Im a medium and heavy duty truck mechanic, so if I have to run a 1" impact I can without worrying about burning out an eletric pump.

I would love to put a tank in a tool box but unless I custom build a box it wouldnt work in the bed because of the headache rack im installing that needs a y-pipe for the bull horn stacks heres a picture of the rack.

With the roof rack Ill be gaining space under the bed since the spare will be on roof now. Do you think that would be a good spot to the tank?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Another option is a VMAC (but those run $7,000-12,000).

I'm not an expert on belt-driven compressors or modifying AC's, but they are using the older style piston AC's. You could also go to a big rig yard and find a system used for air brakes or bags on a lot of different vehicles.

For medium and heavy duty truck repair, have you ever looked into the Miller Enpak 40? I'm sure it's pricey, but dang it's cool.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 PM

The piston style is the one I was talking about, my buddy got one off of an old VW car at the junk yard and most durmax guys have gotten them to fit.

I just looked into the VMAC and I've never seen one, if I had the extra money I would most likely go with that set up. I work in a heavy duty diesel shop on trucks all day, once in a while an old style a/c compressor will come in to be replaced for one reason or another. I'm hoping to grab the next one that comes in and see what I can do to make sure it doesn't leak any air out.

The miller enpack 40 looks awesome, and Im sure the miller is very price but a great brand, if I ever decide to get my own service truck for doing more on road repair I would definitely get one to run everything including a welder.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM

Yeah, if you're looking for a [cheaper] solution, it's going to require some fabbing up. I've read where guys take the Yorks (or piston AC's), relocate the factory AC, and hook them up. They also have to do a bunch of other things when you run them off of the engine (creating a system to engage/disengage a clutch). It seems like a lot of effort to me.

I think you can get multiple compressor electric pumps for a lot less and just learn to deal with their shortcomings (which may never manifest).

Let me know what you end up doing especially if you go the engine-driven route. I think that'd be a cool build on a 6.4.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM

I would probably either attach an a/c clutch or if I use and old a/c I would use the current clutch if it would fit, then just wire a switch inside with other switches that are going in to turn on and off the air when I dont need it.

I will defintly keep you posted once I get it all done.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
I think you can get multiple compressor electric pumps for a lot less and just learn to deal with their shortcomings (which may never manifest).
I understand your situation but I would go the route suggested above. There have been some pretty good advancements in electric compressors in the past few years. I knew a guy who had a 40 lb (I think) tank in the back of his dually that fed some huge bags that was pumped by four electric motors and I was really impressed on how fast it would fill up that 40 lb tank. Also this way if one goes out you still got some others.

Don''t get me wrong a pump running off the engine would be ideal but I imagine it is going to be a pain to figure out and possibly expensive. Just my .02
Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Ive thought about multiple compressors but even if one goes out and I have others Im still worried that Ill put more strain on them if Im running a 1" impact gun.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Look at oasis compressors. They can run an impact wrench right off the compressor without a tank needed. They're badass! About $1500. Here's a few pics of my tank and compressor install. I now have a low profile tool box infront of it.

Many places to mount it. But yea, check out these oasis compressors- not belt driven but they are bada$$!

XD4000-12 Oasis 12-Volt Continuous Duty Tankless Air Compressor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.