Help. Put wrong tranny fluid in. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help. Put wrong tranny fluid in.

So after a huge mess because the dealer I bought the truck from never did the CPO paper work I was finally able to get my local dealer to replace my leaking rad. Well I picked it up yesterday afternoon and this morning the line blew off the tranny cooler because they didn't put the clamp back on. Long story short I didn't want to bring it back to the dealer and have it sit there another week so I sent my brother to get tranny fluid. I asked the parts place for merkon sp. they gave him mercon v. I drove maybe 10-15 miles before I looked at the receipt and realized. I had it towed to my mechanic and I will bring the bills to the dealer and try and get paid.

My question is what should I tell my mechanic to do? Just drain and change the filter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonZ View Post
So after a huge mess because the dealer I bought the truck from never did the CPO paper work I was finally able to get my local dealer to replace my leaking rad. Well I picked it up yesterday afternoon and this morning the line blew off the tranny cooler because they didn't put the clamp back on. Long story short I didn't want to bring it back to the dealer and have it sit there another week so I sent my brother to get tranny fluid. I asked the parts place for merkon sp. they gave him mercon v. I drove maybe 10-15 miles before I looked at the receipt and realized. I had it towed to my mechanic and I will bring the bills to the dealer and try and get paid.

My question is what should I tell my mechanic to do? Just drain and change the filter?

Thats what i would have them do, And fuild.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM

Ive been reading about a hot flush? should I have him flush it? will just draining it get all the fluid out? Did driving with the mercon v damage the tranny?
Old 09-30-2012, 01:41 PM

what was the "wrong fluid " ???

EDIT ahh sorry V ,, I would pony up for a hot flush and get SP or LV the two that u can run ,, the flush will do a 100 percent change ,, I suggest a dealer vs a Lube and go

if it was time for a trans service =60-100k depending on year the filter service is different
Old 09-30-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
what was the "wrong fluid " ???

EDIT ahh sorry V ,, I would pony up for a hot flush and get SP or LV the two that u can run ,, the flush will do a 100 percent change ,, I suggest a dealer vs a Lube and go

if it was time for a trans service =60-100k depending on year the filter service is different
problem is I dont trust my dealer, they are the reason Im in this mess, plus I dont want them ****ing me on the warranty because I put the wrong fluid in.

and Im not going to a lube and go, my mechanic is very thorough and methodical I just want to point him in the right direction. TRuck has 37k also I put in about 12qts to get it back up to full. so its not all mercon V in there now.

Last edited by JasonZ; 09-30-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:37 PM

With that low of mileage I would have them do the hot flush.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:04 PM

this is one of my concerns though. if I have my mechanic do the flush and I bring them the recipets to try and get paid if I ever have an issue with the tranny will the try and use that as an excuse to void my warranty because someone else worked on it? Or if I bring it back and admit that I out the wrong fluid. if I drain the bad fluid and don't say anything about it when I bring it to ford they won't flush it they will just top it off.

Im getting ****ed here either way because I already paid over 100 bucks for the mercon v. so if the dealer won't pay for my mechanics work I'll be paying even more

unless I some how ***** enough to get ford to do the flush and filters cause they messed up but I doubt they will do that unless I tell them I put the wrong fluid in.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:20 PM

Should not be a iusse for your warrenrty to have someone other then a ford dealer to do it. As long as your paper work is in order, you could call Ford and till them the dealer didn't do the job right and your taking it some where else to get it done right.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX 06 View Post
Should not be a iusse for your warrenrty to have someone other then a ford dealer to do it. As long as your paper work is in order, you could call Ford and till them the dealer didn't do the job right and your taking it some where else to get it done right.
that's what I thought. collecting will be a ***** but who knows
Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonZ View Post
Im getting ****ed here either way because I already paid over 100 bucks for the mercon v. so if the dealer won't pay for my mechanics work I'll be paying even more.
Currently going through a similar situation with the dealership. Get the service manager involved and get him to get the mechanics to redo everything to your specification. The dealership warranties their worksmanship/labor for 1 year/20,000km here in Canada. I wanted to pull the plug on the dealership that installed some aftermarket parts as I had to get a second opinion and tell the dealership what the problem was and how to fix it but I let them do the work as I was reassured that they can do the work properly. If they couldn't the service manager offered to take it to another shop that specializes in 4WD vehicles that they have an account with to work on it. Taking it somewhere else is a crapshoot as to whether or not you'd get reimbursed. It's easier to work with the dealership than to take control of the situation and go elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.