Previous 6.0 Owners...Compare To Your New 6.4's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Previous 6.0 Owners...Compare To Your New 6.4's

Hey guys, so I have an '07 PSD, but I've always loved the look (inside and out) of the '08-10 PSD's. Just wondering if anyone who previously or still owns a 2005-2007 6.0, could chime in and quickly compare their 6.0 to their 6.4 for me? I'm just curious. Doesn't have to be too descriptive...just general impressions would be enough. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 AM

6.4 is a power house compared to the 6.0.

Fuel mileage sucks on the 6.4. I was getting 20-21 on my handshaker 350, looking at 14-16 on my 5R110 6.4

Motor is quieter and starts quicker.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 AM

So pretty much, I'd have to spend thousands on my 6.0 to match the performance of the 6.4 with just basic mods?

Is the 6.4 mileage still worse even without a dpf, cat, and muffler? How does the truck sound?
Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've had two 6.0's a 04 and 05, and now I have a 08 running the livewire with the DPF delete, it's quieter in the cab(all around), rides smoother, I'm only running a 250 tune and its seems a tad quicker then my 6.0 with SPD. But all around I like the truck better. I was just eery when I first bought it because the horror stories i've heard about them, then I remembered I had a 6.0

EDIT: Mileage I read 20 in town on the lie-o-meter and 31 on hwy but haven't had a chance to hand calculate
Old 09-25-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by early99strokerr View Post
:EDIT: Mileage I read 20 in town on the lie-o-meter and 31 on hwy but haven't had a chance to hand calculate
Wow! 31 mpg even on the lie meter!? Jesus. My 6.0, just gets 17.6 mpg on the highway, even driving super conservatively! I'd kill for 31 mpg even on the lie meter.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 AM

Truck sounds awesome Hans, you coming to Calgary soon? I got 4" no muffler setup on mine if you want to hear it I like it, some people don't, good to hear a bunch of them before you buy if you are unsure.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGo'N'Show View Post
Truck sounds awesome Hans, you coming to Calgary soon? I got 4" no muffler setup on mine if you want to hear it I like it, some people don't, good to hear a bunch of them before you buy if you are unsure.
This inquiry is more of a long term thing for me. I've always loved the '08-10's, but they're still so expensive, especially compared to the '05-07's. So I'm kinda just asking to see if I want to save for an '08-10, or keep slowly upgrading and working on my 07.

And no, I'm never in calgary. I live in edmonton, and work a 10-4 shift on a site north of fort mac. At least I don't have to use my beloved psd for work lol
Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans89 View Post
So pretty much, I'd have to spend thousands on my 6.0 to match the performance of the 6.4 with just basic mods?

Is the 6.4 mileage still worse even without a dpf, cat, and muffler? How does the truck sound?
You decide,

Stock no dyno run 350 hp ( flywheel) and 650 torque OEM Specs, drop 20-25% thru the drive train and RW figures are

280RWPH
520RWTorque

Delete DOC/DPF and tune with H&S $1200.00

494RWHP
975RW torque
Dyno number from Rudy's First Dyno day. Numbers published in Deisel power from the event.

This give you great bragging rights but to teh real world it means little. Towing I have EGT issue with moderate weight.
Solution:

Intake, EGR delete, exhaust Manifolds, UP pipes, Turbo upgrade, Studs, Torqueconverter, Snow performance w/m injection

Cost around $8000.00 plus install.

All up not counting other mods $9200.00 for a real world difference and drivability. What can you do to yoru 6.0 for almost 10 grand?

Sound Idle sounds great, full power bit like a vacuum cleaner with a 5 inch exhaust and 6 inch tip.

Cheers
Old 09-25-2012, 07:48 AM

Somethign I would love to see for the 6.0 is the 6.4/6.7 fuel injector/system conversion.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 AM

For that kind of money you could love you 6.0 for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.