BigT2317's '08 F350 build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BigT2317's '08 F350 build

Hey everyone, I have build threads for my jeep and my R/C toys but never got around to doing one for my superduty, so here it goes. It is a 2008 F350 king ranch:

Here is the only picture I have of it when it still had the headache rack on it. The bumpers, steps, toolbox, headache rack and Rhino liner were already installed at the dealer when new. I took the headache rack off but kept the rest on, I'd really like to get rid of the tall R&K toolbox and get a low profile UWS or something but just can't justify it right now.

I installed a H&S MiniMaxx. Full thread here: H&S dash mounting question

Then I installed some 325/60/20 Hankook Dynapro ATM2 tires, the old stock size BFG all terrain were getting pretty sorry.

I didn't weigh the wheel and tire combo but I can definitely tell they are heavier!!

Now just the other day I got a early b-day gift to myself in the mail

Being that I'm leveled in the front, pretty much any weight in the bed makes my truck sag and ride nose high. This is something I HATE with a passion, I can't stand to see "lifted" trucks drive down the road with the nose sitting 6" higher. When I do haul things in the bed, it's usually around 2,000+ lbs so I really needed an air bag set up. I was debating on which route to go and decided on this combo, thread is here: Firestone ride rite airbags with auto leveling

Here is how the truck sits right now:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Don't you worry about it

How do you like that size tire. I need some new tires and have a 4" lift but can't decide to get new rims or just tires and keep the factory 20"s
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
How do you like that size tire. I need some new tires and have a 4" lift but can't decide to get new rims or just tires and keep the factory 20"s
I'm not him, I'm me BUT I have that same size tire and wheel setup on my 08. I really like the size and look with the stock wheels.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Don't you worry about it

How are they wearing. Are they pretty stable
Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 PM

I like the tire size. I have VERY minor rubbing on my driver side arm a full left turn, only enough to leave a small mark no vibs or noise. Other than that no issues and they fill the wheel well nicely. I can say there felt unstable at first since I came from a stock size tire, but after a couple thousand miles the broke in and felt a little better.

As far a wear, I only have about 10K on them maybe and I've rotated them once already so they are wearing great for now. I'll have to see long term and report back but hopefully I'll get at least 50K out of these, the massive torque from the 6.4 kills the rear tires when playing around.

On another note, I tried installing my airbags tonight and ran into a bit of a issue. I have a 5" diamond eye exhaust and it's interfering with the bag placement on the passenger side. Since I have a hitch in the bed the exhaust does sit a little lower for clearance but I don't think it would move up enough to clear the bag. Even a fully stock exhaust looks like it would be a problem. I'd really like to see some pictures of the clearance of other members trucks to compare with.

Here is a pic, my thumb is right inline of the threaded hole in the bottom of the bag and my finger is right inline there the hole is to bolt to the bag, a good couple of inches is needed.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Great Job , and sharp truck , I personally can vouche for the dyna pros atm , they really held up great , i just sold my set i orginally got used , and i put atleast 40k on them if not more and they had lots of wear left , if and when i go back to stock or slightly lifted ill diffently get another set !! Keep up the posts , and good luck figuring out airbags as ill be doing this as well !!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:10 AM
Don't you worry about it

I can't get 30k out of a set of tires.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Little bit of an update. So I got my bags installed, I had to remove the exhaust pieces that routes over the axle but everything is in and working. There is just no way that my 5" exhaust will work with the bags installed unless it's tweeked and bent a little so I dropped my truck off at a local exhaust shop that I've dealt with in the past to try and make it work. If he can't make it work then I'll have to drop down to a 4" exhaust and make it work.

The area of concern is just behind the rear axle in between the spare tire heat shield and the passenger side air bag, I can bend the spare tire heat shield to get more room but I still don't think it will give me what I need. I think the hangers will need to be cut off and new custom hangers installed, hopefully this is the case and I do not have to buy a new exhaust. I'll take some pics of the final install and hopefully some pics of the reworked exhaust and post them up.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 PM

Good news everyone! We were able to tweak / cut and reweld hangers on the 5" exhaust to make it work. Here are some pics I took tonight to show final product. The exhaust was just clamped together with typical exhaust clamps but while I was under there doing the bags I noticed that no matter how tight I got the clamps the exhaust was not a tight fit. I was able to move it around a couple of inches back and forth with just my hand which was causing it to rub on my shock and the spare tire heat shield. The fix was welding the joints up on the back sections of pipe and just tacking the front sections. Now the exhaust is stout and not as flexible as it was before.

This is looking back from right in front of the passenger rear tire.

Looking towards the front from the back passenger side. Notice the spare tire heat shield is bent in from where it was rubbing before

Here is the over the axle piece that was interfering with the bags. This is looking back from in front of the passenger rear tire. There is at least 1 inch of clearance at the closest spots. I'll monitor the air bag temp to see how hot it's getting. I may need to add another heat shield or some heat tape if needed

Mounting of the compressor, you can see the top of the passenger rear shock at the bottom of the pic. Also the exhaust hanger shown is right in front of the back axle

Here is the wireless manifold. You can see the piston part of the compressor on the left side of the pic, the manifold is mounted with self tapping screws on one of the bed's supports.

All the lines were ran with sheathing on them where they may rub and were zip tied out of the way. I ran the one power wire to the capped off Aux #1 upfitter switch under the dash. This way if I have a fault or leak I can cut power to the compressor with the switch.

Everything seems to be working well, I have yet to hook up to a trailer or haul a heavy load so time will tell. I'll report back my opinions on this kit down the road.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Well I've had the air bags on for a little bit and I can say that I love them. I haven't hauled too big of a load yet, probably only 6,000 lbs. or so, but they are fantastic when loaded down. The ride did suffer a tad when unloaded due to the minimum 5 psi needed for the bags but when loaded the ride seems smoother than before.

I absolutely LOVE the wireless controller too, I just take it out when air up until level then drive away. If I need a little more or less air I just adjust as I'm driving.

On another note, I sold my headache rack, bed rails and tool box today. I didn't like how far up the R&K box I had was above the bed and want to get a low pro tool box now to see better out the back. I thought about doing a in the bed box then adding a retrax bed cover but that is a lot of money to drop down all at once. We'll see what I come up with and I'll post pics when all said and done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.