Need Advice on new Mods.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 02:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Advice on new Mods....

Im getting ready to do the ol spartan, with DPF and EGR delete....but have some questions first... Here is what I use my truck for. I haul a 10,000lb trailer ALOT! I usually go about 2 to 3k miles per week and half of that is with the trailer. I do have to cross the scales at weigh stations. I would like to keep the exhaust tip stock preferably.

1. Should I go with 4 or 5" exhaust?
2. Should I not even use a muffler?
3. will that be loud?
4. What Mpg increase should I relaistically expect?

I usually run through 1 to 2 tanks of fuel a day. If I can save even $20 per tank, that means I can save 1 to $200 per week..... If I do need a muffler which one would be quietest or could I use that stock thing?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

A 5" exhaust will give you a deeper exhaust sound. However, the 4" will be sufficient for just a tuner/CAI as mods. These trucks are pretty quiet without a muffler. You can go to H&S' website and hear a truck with one of their tuners and no muffler on it. Should give you a decent insight into what a tuned truck with no muffler sounds like at take off. Many of the hand calculated MPG increases I've seen seem to only add a couple MPGs. Guess in your case with how much you drive, you'll see a savings in fuel costs sooner rather than later. Tuners are more performance oriented first with "fuel economy" as a secondary benefit.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:08 PM

Hi Alberta, thanks for the response, I'd be happy with another 2mpg. For as much fuel as I use anything would be appreciated. Plus added power would also be great as I pull the trailer up some pretty big mountains sometimes. Im pretty sure I will be added an air intake also. I think I kind of want a sleeper as my truck is as base model as they come. I really do not want to tip off the DOT guys at the scales and at the same time it will be fun to pull on some trucks on the highway! I will go check out the H&S site thanks again!
Old 07-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

IMO, if you want to leave it as stock looking and as stock sounding as possible but still have the "Sleeper" ability... get the intake, and the tuner, but then only get the DPF and DOC (CAT) delete pipes, there are a few different companies that make them. PTP is a site sponsor and they could prob hook you with a good deal. you can leave the rest of the stock exhaust in place. it would be in your best interest IMHO to just get a full 5" exhaust, but if you need to leave it stock looking, i would get the delete pipes.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Wow thats a great looking truck! What about the EGR delete? There are times that I would like to sleep in the truck with it running, wouldnt that screw the EGR up? I know it did on my Mercedes Sprinter! Most times the temp at night is fine to sleep with the truck off but when its muggy I like the AC. Of course my tuner would be able to idle the truck up at least I think.... My truck will be a TOTAL sleeper. Its an all white with steel wheels extended cab, long bed 2 wheel drive....
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

thanks for the kind words, it took me a while to figure out the lift/tire combo i wanted to go with. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

EGR delete is always a good idea.. its one of my next mods that i want to do. just dont have $$ right now to have one installed. i could probably do it myself, but i'd rather just pay a few extra bucks to have it done right. and not have to worry about it. i think most of the tuners these days turn the egr off but it depends on the tune you get/use. i'm not 100% clear on all the details on that one, i know it turns it "off" but not sure if it still cycles when it idles or what. i don't use my truck like you do, so the need for certain things like long idle times isn't something i need. sorry i couldn't help anymore.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you're going to idle the truck that much, invest in a Webasto or Espar heater. I'm surprised that your Sprinter doesn't have an Espar heater in it. I know the older models with the smaller engine in it had them come standard as there was no block heater option on the Sprinter. I'd get an Espar before idling the truck regardless of if you do the EGR delete or not..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.