Truck Shutdown on I-75 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Shutdown on I-75

Guys this my first post here but have read numerous threads and gotten great help and ideas from them so first of all thanks to all of you guys willing to help us new guys! While traveling back from GA to FL my 08 F350 SRW shut off at 75mph and would not recrank. Now I had a water seperator module light on that I had drained and cleared 5 times on this truck with less than 1" of water came out on a couple of occasions but the other 3 times nothing diesel fuel. No check engine light no wrench indicator for limp mod just shuts off. I also had the cruise set at 75 and out of nowhere 15 minutes earlier shut off and would not reactivate. My guess was low fuel pressure cause it will try and crank but no fire. I have replaced both fuel filters again, this time with Motorcraft, and I also cleaned and put new gasket and hardware kit in water seperatormodule. Primed fuel approx 15-20 times after all changes and still nothing. I have H&S Mini Maxx on it with DPF delete and 4" exhaust and contacted tech support with them and ran numerous diag and still no codes and no fire please help or it will have to go to dealer late tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

happened to me once. Keep priming it and draining the seperator it took me forever to get mine started.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So did you find out that it was low fuel pressure or what? I had this issue of priming when I did the fuel filter change the first time and it finally fired up. It took a couple hours last time but this has been going on for 2 days now but I look forward to what you found was the problem.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 PM

Did it cough before it shut off? Was it running rough before? It shouldn't be that tough to get it to start after filters either.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 PM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I was gonna say make sure it's primed at least 6 times before you try to start or else it for sure won't start but u say 20 times I did? I'm stumped
Old 07-10-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4krawln View Post
Guys this my first post here but have read numerous threads and gotten great help and ideas from them so first of all thanks to all of you guys willing to help us new guys! While traveling back from GA to FL my 08 F350 SRW shut off at 75mph and would not recrank. Now I had a water seperator module light on that I had drained and cleared 5 times on this truck with less than 1" of water came out on a couple of occasions but the other 3 times nothing diesel fuel. No check engine light no wrench indicator for limp mod just shuts off. I also had the cruise set at 75 and out of nowhere 15 minutes earlier shut off and would not reactivate. My guess was low fuel pressure cause it will try and crank but no fire. I have replaced both fuel filters again, this time with Motorcraft, and I also cleaned and put new gasket and hardware kit in water seperatormodule. Primed fuel approx 15-20 times after all changes and still nothing. I have H&S Mini Maxx on it with DPF delete and 4" exhaust and contacted tech support with them and ran numerous diag and still no codes and no fire please help or it will have to go to dealer late tomorrow.
1 inch of water out of the frame mounted filter!?! sound like you have a bad load of fuel.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you ever ran the truck out of fuel? A buddy of mine ran his out towing and it would randomly shut down just like your stating for 2-3 months after.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Any luck yet?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not Good News

Got initial diagnostics from dealer and they are advising that I got a bad tank of fuel with massive amounts of water and therefore have destroyed the high pressure fuel pump. Gave authorization to tear into upper motor and have pics sent son that Ford can determine coverage under warranty. I have both the standard drivetrain and an extended warranty but advisers states he cant state whether it will be covered. My options were to tear into get oils sent to Ford and if they don't cover it call insurance and they have covered others before. My main issue with Ford not covering this is the system has a seperatormodule to assist and prevent this from happening, which I drained numerous times on my trip 6 times and only twice did water come out and again only an 1" or so at that, so why would it not be covered. The dealer is working with me and states they will do all in their power to assist to get it covered. Please let me know if you know of anyone who has been through this and has had good or bad experiences with Ford cover the high pressure fuel pump under these conditions.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:02 AM

Water fuel seporators are only good to a limit. If you have a tank load of bad fuel, water will get thru. The module on the frame rail "horizontal fuel conditioner" is junk IMHO. Check into Air Dog or FASS or a Raycor Water seporator in addition.

Also I have never drained a fuel system water seporator and got more than a few drops of water mixed with fuel out of it. Even in big 200 gal tanks I could see the water suspended in the fuel but never as much as you are stating.

The WIF light should have lit but then again that system is prone to issues.

Fuel pumps have filters on them but usually not to filter out water, just junk suspended in the fuel.

I feel for you and sorry to hear about what happened. I am getting ready to head out on a 4500 mile run out west... clean fuel is always a concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.