Two questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Two questions

I've read posts before stating that the newest flash for the 6.4 no longer displays in the message center "cleaning exhaust filter". I had never seen the message in the 10k miles I've put on it since the truck was new to me. Now every hundred miles or so it's displaying the message "cleaning exhaust filter" for a couple seconds and goes away. Shortly before or after this happens when I accelerate I see quite the haze almost white smoke pouring out of the exhaust? Dpf getting clogged or egr dirty/sticking? I'm not loosing coolant. The truck has 110,000 some odd miles on it now and I got an oasis after I had bought finding that it had a short block put in it before due to a oil pump failure. I'm not worried about that cool it has less miles on the block then I knew I was buying. My second question is boost pressure. What kind of average boost pressure you guys seeing cruising 65-70 on the highway no load maybe a little windy out? I'm seeing 15-20psi. This seems high to be just cruising down the highway in Texas no hills? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not sure about the cleaning exhaust filter problem all I know is before I got rid of my dpf and cat it used to do the same thing. After deletes it never has. I think it's the ash that the dpf burns. But as to boost psi.. Mine on stock usually boost around 35-37 running 70 and rolling into the throttle. Now with my tuner turned up it boost 45-50 and the stock twins seem to hold it just fine

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I was having issues with mine smoking with the dpf, so I deleted it and now I don't have any smoking issues. And I was having these issues at 18,000 miles. So it's not like the dpf is old. Idk if its possible but ya need to get that thing out of there if its possible. The truck runs so much better but I understand if that's not an option. It is Normal for the truck to smoke is what the dealer said to me. White is what it usually is but mine was blue haze so I got rid of that thing
Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 PM

I have just under 35,000 miles on my truck and when I took it in last week for regular maintenance, I was told I had a cracked DPF. It's getting replaced under the powertrain warranty. I did have a little bit more than usual smoke when I jumped on the skinny pedal but didn't think it was anything excessive.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate the replies. I have a delete pipe in the garage just haven't bought a tuner yet. I'm planning on going with a livewire. It's just odd to me not to see any cleaning filter message for that many miles that I've owned the truck when i have always watched for it religously. I thought maybe it was tuned by the first owner and they removed it before trading it in, but the bolts in the dpf, the clamp etc don't have any signs o wrench marks and are discolored like the rest of the exhaust. Who knows, still runs like a champ.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 AM

I've got just a shade over 65K on mine, completely stock, and have seen white smoke only once during a regen (cleaning exhaust filter). Normally I don't see any smoke at all before, during , or after regen. But you are right about the message displaying. Unless you just happen to be looking at the panel when it pops up, you'll miss it because it's only there for a couple of seconds. I'd love for there to be some sort of indicator, a light or something, to be lit during the entire cycle. That way we'd know at a glance without having to hit the display and reset button and have it cycle through all of the systems it monitors. That's a real pain in the arse. However, mine does make a different sound when it's in regen. It sounds like it has a vacuum leak. When it does that I just confirm it with the display reset method.

As for boost pressure, I've never seen more than 20 on mine, and that's when I was going up a hill. Never at cruise on the highway. Since I don't tow or haul anything, I can't speak for that.

Last edited by cp2146; 07-05-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.4, dpf clogged, egr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.