6.4 and bypass oil filters - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 PM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 and bypass oil filters

just a heads up, to a problem I encountered when I installed my bypass system on my truck. Went with the AmsOil parts, so before ya ask if it was done right, it's done the way everyone else would do it. The problem I encountered was excessive oil in my intake system. Did some looking and it was coming from the CCV. What it boils down to and what a few other people i have talked to have agreed with me on is this. when the oil returning to the engine from the bypass filter is coming in through the oil fill, as you know it's also the CCV can and the CCV air flowing out of the engine is hitting the oil and blowing it out into the intake tract.

I was noticing white puffs of smoke on start up after long drives. Figured it was oil coming from somewhere. My truck has 100,XXX miles, it shouldn't be an issue of being worn out. I drive my truck nicely. Thats when I checked the turbos. They were fine. Then I moved to the intake system, took the lower boot off the intercooler and a little less than a quart of oil drained out of the intercooler.

So just something to look out for. I plan on re-installing the bypass setup once I figure out a better way to run the return line from the bypass filters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 06:16 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you done a CCV mod on your truck. I have on mine and plan on getting the same Amsoil kit.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:58 PM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

Currently i have the ccv set up to vent to atnosphere. When i had the bypass on the truck the truck was spitting so much oil through the ccv system when i parked oil would drip off the front axle. Had the vebt tube ran next to the radiator to the ground. Took my bypass system off last night and no oil coming out like it was. The bypass system need to return the oil through the valve cover, not the oil fill. The ccv air catches the returnes oil
Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had the same issue. What I did (less than 200 miles ago) was put a three inch pipe nipple on the inside to make the oil cap. Hopefully with the oil spitting out further down, so much of it won't exit out the CCV.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wonder how hard it would be to add a an nipple to the valve cover itself to hook one or the other too.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:37 AM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

I was thinking the valve cover idea also. If you could find a fitting and put a fitting in the valve cover and ha e the oil returned that way. I think that'd be the best bet. Gotta do some lookin under the hood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.