Fixed my death wobble - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fixed my death wobble

There have been several posts about people having the death wobble problem and possible solutions. Most of the replies that I read weren't very comforting. Seems like some of the guys changed out everything (tie rods, ball joints, track bar and so on) and it didn't help anything. From what I read the only thing that fixed it was a dual steering stabilizer. To me this seems like treating the symptoms not the disease.

I have had my 37's on for approximately 30k mi and I got the death wobble starting about 2k mi ago. I didn't just want to do the steering stabilizer since everything was fine up until here recently so common sense would tell me that something is wore out and it can be fixed. I wanted to start with the track bar. I have the leveling kit which shifts the axle off to one side so I wanted to get a beefier one that is adjustable so I could recenter the axle.

Usually I do a great deal of research on anything that I buy for my truck. As everyone out there knows there is a ton of junk in the aftermarket that is a huge waste of money. I have been busy with work recently so I decided to stop by the first truck accessory store I drove by. The guy there tried to sell me on some track bar that was about 600 bucks. I figured that I needed to do some more research before I just throw 600 bucks around. On my way home I passed a 4 wheel parts so I figured I would see what they had to say. The salesman there gave me the "I just had a guy here last week with the same truck, with the exact same tires that had the same problem and this fixed it". I figured he was giving me the salesman BS run around. He showed me the BD diesel adjustable track bar, I was cringing when he was looking up the price. Surprisingly it was under 200 bucks after tax and all.

I said what the hell and so I got it. I am very pleased with the product that BD sent me. Everything seems heavy duty and the assembly of the track bar was easy. The install went without issue's although the instruction say that the bolt is 32mm to the frame when it is actually 30mm, or at least it was on my truck. After I got the axle centered up I took it for a drive and I was pleasantly surprised that my death wobble is now 100% gone. The whole front end seems like it is tighter and more precise than it has ever been. I didn't realize how much I had to fight the truck before. Now that it is fixed it rides better and I can relax while I am driving.

Sorry for being a little long winded but if anyone has the death wobble problem I would strongly suggest you start with BD diesel's adjustable track bar. I am 100% satisfied and couldn't be happier with the end result and BD's product. I am happy for my sake and hopefully for the sake of others that this works out for more people. I was getting the impression that people were just accepting the fact that the only solution to the death wobble was to control it with stabilizers and that solution just never set will with me. Let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think I'm going to go my local shop and talk to them about a trackbar. I've already done the bandaid fix of adding an aftermarket Bilstein steering stabilizer in place of the OEM unit and my truck drove fine with no death wobble for a few thousand miles. Now, it seems like m death wobble is back with a vengeance and is worse than ever. This might be a good place to start, especially if it's only a couple hundred bucks. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
BD website shows it for $261 but is still considerably less than the $7-800 that ReadyLift sells their anti-wobble track bar for.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:47 AM

i put a pure performance adjustable trac bar on mine a while back (when i replaced other front end parts) my wobble is back. also the stock trac bar has a natural bend to it- the pure one is straight- is yours straight as well? mine is making contact with the bracket behind-above it to create a squeek-rub issue........ pictures if wanted....
i was told just last night by the dealer- yep it hits, you can grind the effected area off the bracket to clearance it- all front end checked out........
Old 06-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When I went to 4 wheel parts they said it was on sale. Let me see if I can find my receipt to get the exact figure. Yeah the ready lift one was the one that the other shop tried to sell me on.

The BD diesel track bar does have a bend to it like the stock one has. I have not experienced any sort of rubbing.

I would really like to see if this works for anyone else. Like I said in my first post I couldn't believe that there were so many responses saying that they spent so much money on parts that shops were recommending that did not fix anything.

One thing I did forget to add was that the stock tack bar did not look bent and the rubber bushing on the frame side did not look wore out. So if anyone is experiencing death wobble don't go by looks alone. To tell you the truth based on what I read I really wasn't expecting the track bar to take care of my problem. I thought that there was a 50/50 shot that it would. I wanted the adjust ability to recenter the axle.

I am still debating on weather or not to get a dual steering stabilizer. Procomp makes a pretty good looking unit that uses fox shocks. In my mind this will help control the tires side to side more which would in turn would create less wear and tear on front suspension components. But maybe that is just wishful thinking. Thoughts?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
I remember seeing on 4 Wheel TV on Speed network that the death wobble is caused by a worn out track bar and this validates that. The one they used did away with all the bushings and used hiem joints instead. No more wearing out. However this was a while ago and I don't recall the brand.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The BD diesel kit does not use a hiem joint. It does use a polyurethane bushing instead of a normal rubber one. From what I read the hiem joint can cause unwanted noise, vibration and harshness........ not that driving trucks like ours don't already have any of those issues but I don't want to add to it hahahahaha. Polyurethane bushings are a big upgrade from the rubber bushing but the hiem joint would be an upgrade from polyurethane it just has a few draw backs.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 713Diesel View Post
The BD diesel kit does not use a hiem joint. It does use a polyurethane bushing instead of a normal rubber one. From what I read the hiem joint can cause unwanted noise, vibration and harshness........ not that driving trucks like ours don't already have any of those issues but I don't want to add to it hahahahaha. Polyurethane bushings are a big upgrade from the rubber bushing but the hiem joint would be an upgrade from polyurethane it just has a few draw backs.
I agree completely lol. Hiem joints are more for off roading than everyday road driving. They would be harsh and like you said, we dont need any more of that
Old 06-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I lied to you guys earlier. It was on sale at 4 wheel parts for $202 before tax.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 713Diesel View Post
I lied to you guys earlier. It was on sale at 4 wheel parts for $202 before tax.

Still a good price though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.