Looking at 2008 F350 Dually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at 2008 F350 Dually

I'm new to the 6.4 and can the DPF be deleted without getting a programmer? I had a 2006 F350 dually stolen a couple weeks ago and been looking at a 2008 F350 dually with 42000 miles on it. I was told they get worst mpg than the 6.0?

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Don't you worry about it

no a programmer is necessary to remove the DPF and they do get horrible mileage.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I'm in the same boat as you are! My truck in my sig was stolen that I loved..just about 2 weeks ago. I'm also looking at the 6.4's. But I've invested all my research and time into the 6.0 since that's what I had, no I feel green again trying to learn up on these 6.4's. I'm subscribing too!

Definitley deleting the dpf & egr soon as I get one..Don't want to hijack- But is it a must to stud the 6.4's like the 6.0's?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you are! My truck in my sig was stolen that I loved..just about 2 weeks ago. I'm also looking at the 6.4's. But I've invested all my research and time into the 6.0 since that's what I had, no I feel green again trying to learn up on these 6.4's. I'm subscribing too!

Definitley deleting the dpf & egr soon as I get one..Don't want to hijack- But is it a must to stud the 6.4's like the 6.0's?
Head gasket issues are not as common as on the 6.0. If you plan on running high hp tunes it would be a good idea to put studs but only if you blow your head gasket. I have been running the hd300 on my mini maxx with no issues. I don't drive very hard but I give it some throttle every once in awhile & have no issues. If I ever have to pull the cab for gaskets I would do studs but until then I won't even think about it.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
Head gasket issues are not as common as on the 6.0. If you plan on running high hp tunes it would be a good idea to put studs but only if you blow your head gasket. I have been running the hd300 on my mini maxx with no issues. I don't drive very hard but I give it some throttle every once in awhile & have no issues. If I ever have to pull the cab for gaskets I would do studs but until then I won't even think about it.
Good to know! High HP tunes- what is a "high hp" tune for a 6.4? If we plan on doing a dpf & egr delete, and say a tune comparable to the SPD on a 6.0- does that compare to a "high hp" tune?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
Good to know! High HP tunes- what is a "high hp" tune for a 6.4? If we plan on doing a dpf & egr delete, and say a tune comparable to the SPD on a 6.0- does that compare to a "high hp" tune?
From what I understand if you are running 250+ hp tunes & are hard on it quite a bit then you are at higher risk of head gasket failure. With that said there are also alot of guys that do run high tunes with no issues at all. I am not familiar with SPD ON THE 6.0
Old 06-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Don't you worry about it

I blew mine running the HD300 tune and never had it at the track or a pull but I did do some boosted launches with it.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 PM

mileage on a F350 dually, I just bought a 350 crew c/c truck, stock, according to the computer I got 13.7 on the 326 mile trip home including 1 regen. ordering parts now to do the delete.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
I blew mine running the HD300 tune and never had it at the track or a pull but I did do some boosted launches with it.
Yeah but like I said some guys are also able to run the hd300 hot all the time while driving hard & still have the head gaskets last a long time. Most people that run them hard expect them to go at some point but aren't to cncerned with it. I have seen some stock trucks that had head gasket issues as well but either way you go stock or tuned so far the head gasket issues are not as common yet on the 6.4's. I guess that could be because they have not been out as long as the 6.0's. From how it sounds the design is maybe a little better. I am not to sure though because I really don't know a whole alot about the 6.0's because I have never owned one but only heard the stories about them.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:41 AM

I only concern now is I don't want to purchase this truck without an extended warranty (3yrs maybe). If I would need engine work done in the future would they know that I had used a programmer?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.