2 engines toasted in 3 weeks due to bad EGR coolers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2 engines toasted in 3 weeks due to bad EGR coolers

When will Ford take responsibility for their piss poor design? I mean, I use my truck to make a living. I thought I had blown my first engine due to some tech's wrongdoing. However, when I had the engine replaced they showed me it was a faulty EGR cooler. I already had my check from the maintenance shop to keep my mouth shut. i wasnt losing any money....

So I got a Ford dealership to install a new engine with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. Seemed like a pretty good deal. i wasnt out any money.

Well new engine in (after waiting 2 weeks) and i start taking my truck back to the house. 350 miles into the trip, im overheating...AGAIN! needed a new radiator (or so they said). had it repaired and then picked up my gooseneck. made it from alabama to the middle of New York city with a very light load, stop at a rest area, and BOOM. a plethora of white smoke and rough idle upon cranking. after letting it idle for about 30 seconds, it would smooth out and no smoke. Well, I had to get it to a shop to have it checked out. so i pull out of the rest area and slowly, carefully head to the exit.

in a surge....and this is not BS, my temp shot to high then I hear a pop and a bunch of rattling. needless to say, I was cursing more than a sailor on the day he was getting redeployed. White smoke. No coolant. And no warning.

the shop checked it out. bad EGR cooler. Less than 1500 miles from having a new engine, new EGR, new regen filters....the works.

another blown engine. thousands of dollars lost. and my heart broken.

i should have bought a dodge. and regretfully, i seriously mean it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow, really sorry to hear that. Is your truck stock and how many miles?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2008 f-450. returned to stock condition at last engine replacement. apparently, it had a programmer on it when i bought it which most likely contributed to the EGR failure.

motor blew at 121648 and 123148....yes, exactly 1500 miles on the new engine.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonLogistics View Post
apparently, it had a programmer on it when i bought it which most likely contributed to the EGR failure.
That definitely sucks but why is this Ford's fault?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
2008 f-450. returned to stock condition at last engine replacement. apparently, it had a programmer on it when i bought it which most likely contributed to the EGR failure.

motor blew at 121648 and 123148....yes, exactly 1500 miles on the new engine.
That really sucks man but I don't think the programmer caused it. It would have just been faulty coolers. Anyways hopefully they get it fixed up for you soon. Are you in an area where you can remove the egr & dpf system?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:43 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-23-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
I don't think the programmer caused it. It would have just been faulty coolers.
It depends on the tuner. Some turn the EGR system completely off and others will still cycle the EGR. This can cause the EGR valve to stick. When the valve opens, carbon starts building up in the intake manifold. What I'm getting at is if the coolers weren't deleted/removed when the original owner had the truck and tuner, the valve may have been stuck when the new owner, the OP, bought the truck without the tuner, causing the coolers to fail. As far as the second engine, not sure why it would fail.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
It depends on the tuner. Some turn the EGR system completely off and others will still cycle the EGR. This can cause the EGR valve to stick. When the valve opens, carbon starts building up in the intake manifold. What I'm getting at is if the coolers weren't deleted/removed when the original owner had the truck and tuner, the valve may have been stuck when the new owner, the OP, bought the truck without the tuner, causing the coolers to fail. As far as the second engine, not sure why it would fail.
But how does the tuner cause the coolers to fail? When the coolers & egr are operational, there are hot exhaust gases passing through as well as hot coolant. When the egr valve is not operational due to the tuner, there is still hot coolant going through the coolers. I could see the valve failing due to the tuner disabling it for extended periods & then trying to cycle it with carbon buildup in there but I don't think the tuner actually affects the coolers operation. Just my opinion. Hopefully they look after him & just get him fixed up.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

tearing up a brand new reman 6.4 shouldnt happen...especially not 1500 miles into its install. And Ford knows their EGR design is flawed...yet they keep on installing them and as of yet, have failed to issue a true fix to their flawed design. Isnt it about a grand to replace the EGR coolers? and how can you really know its about to fail? Why is it my responsibility to buy aftermarket junk when ford should stand behind their product off the showroom floor? I mean, 100k mile warranty on a vehicle that can easily run 50,000 dollars new...conceivably, id have to make at least $5 per mile in order to break even. No hotshot in the world can do it.

Ford "Like a rock".....yeah....right. Like a ****.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
tearing up a brand new reman 6.4 shouldnt happen...especially not 1500 miles into its install. And Ford knows their EGR design is flawed...yet they keep on installing them and as of yet, have failed to issue a true fix to their flawed design. Isnt it about a grand to replace the EGR coolers? and how can you really know its about to fail? Why is it my responsibility to buy aftermarket junk when ford should stand behind their product off the showroom floor? I mean, 100k mile warranty on a vehicle that can easily run 50,000 dollars new...conceivably, id have to make at least $5 per mile in order to break even. No hotshot in the world can do it.

Ford "Like a rock".....yeah....right. Like a ****.
Not to stir the pot but wasn't it chevrolet that coined that phrase for their trucks back in the late 90's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.